What was it used for, and any thoughts on the age of it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Getting even further from bottle-talk...but why not? (Is there an antique-toilets.net site...?)

Working with the date, May 30, 1916, and searching patents granted on that date, there is, in the Official Gazette of the U S Patent Office, in the listing of patents granted on that date, in the listing of "REISSUES", on page 1770, the following:

49,112 FLOAT. CHARLES E. DOUGLAS, Cincinnati, Ohio, assignor to The John Douglas Company, Cincinnati, Ohio, a corporation of Ohio. Filed Nov. 29, 1915. Serial No. 64177. Term of patent 3 1/2 years.
1637192919884.jpeg

The ornamental design for a float as shown.

There are two images of the float -- side view, which shows a neck with the same (or very similar) contours as yours, and a view of the attachment end. Your float may differ slightly, in that its free end is flattened.

Not terribly ornamental, methinks.

But, here is art, an apparently simple object, but echoing in its elliptical form the motions of the heavenly spheres, in its motions the motions of wandering driftwood, carried by whims of wind and current, the world its destination; but this orb imprisoned, tethered by a cold brass rod in a cruel dark ceramic cage, destined to bob, up and down, rising and falling, with the ebb and flow of each successive flush, and going nowhere. Poet fodder. I have not been able to locate the work, but it was Keats, I believe, who wrote the achingly melancholic "Ode to a Cistern", and there was Ogden Nash's much lighter "Water Loo, How Do You Do", with its disguised references to Wellington and the Bonaparte fellow.

Good grief. Ornamental design? Who would care what the float in a toilet water tank looks like? Perhaps there was a transparent tank that went with it. I'm sure not. And, was the patent granted for the appearance of the thing? Build a prettier mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door? Definitely true, for many perhaps most items, but patentable?

As I recall, from personal experience, toilet water tanks were, at that time (were there exceptions, in posher abodes?), located high on the wall, six or seven, perhaps eight feet up, to create a powerful (noisy) rush of water, a long pipe from cistern down to the commode, with a chain dangling down, wooden handle on the end, and we called flushing "pulling the chain". As in, "You filthy pig, Trevor, you forgot to pull the chain again!" Even less able to ever see the float, in such a set-up.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
I never cease to be amazed and educated on this site. Now I'm wondering what was in the tank at Grandpa's old house? Hmmm. :D...
Hey RB, you should have been a high school teacher!...
Just remember, "Its a long way to the cafe."

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Kimble was a company that manufactured them, called Kindle Glastite. Floats in Glass, wood, and copper examples have been found. The stopper is not part of the mechanism as you mentioned.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

That’s a little different than my freakin beautiful but broken toilet part! Must be the uptown fancy model! (They forget the stopper! Lol!). I guess you can try and dress them up- but it’s still a toilet float. I am still laughing! You don’t know how many months I would look at that in the box…. Busted lip…. I’ve never ever seen anything close, but a fire grenade or a target ball are the closest that I could think of. I’m thinking “this could be a rare one…. Too bad about that big hunk of lip missing!” And it turns out to be a toilet float? What are the chances…. If that were my working actual toilet float, I think I’d want a clear tank! And maybe some fish- or-at the very least, no lid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That’s a little different than my freakin beautiful but broken toilet part! Must be the uptown fancy model! (They forget the stopper! Lol!). I guess you can try and dress them up- but it’s still a toilet float. I am still laughing! You don’t know how many months I would look at that in the box…. Busted lip…. I’ve never ever seen anything close, but a fire grenade or a target ball are the closest that I could think of. I’m thinking “this could be a rare one…. Too bad about that big hunk of lip missing!” And it turns out to be a toilet float? What are the chances…. If that were my working actual toilet float, I think I’d want a clear tank! And maybe some fish- or-at the very least, no lid.

I remember a copper float in my basement toilet when I was a kid. I didn't think much of it back then. Right now I am.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I remember a copper float in my basement toilet when I was a kid. I didn't think much of it back then. Right now I am.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Oh yah…. I think gram had one, all nice and Art Deco’d out- really cool, now that I think about it- hey, thanks, Robbie! You triggered a memory! Hey, did I ever tell you (my go-to excuse- this works!) “I died once for 5 minutes! It was cool-grandma was there! But she was young and ….” It comes back in bits like that, for 10 years…. Grandmas mysterious toilet float! Oh, and that strange green air wick bottle of slime- grandma had the weird … right? Awesome lady. But it leaves you with no fear of anything, really. Well maybe spiders…
giphy.gif

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Oh yah…. I think gram had one, all nice and Art Deco’d out- really cool, now that I think about it- hey, thanks, Robbie! You triggered a memory! Hey, did I ever tell you (my go-to excuse- this works!) “I died once for 5 minutes! It was cool-grandma was there! But she was young and ….” It comes back in bits like that, for 10 years…. Grandmas mysterious toilet float! Oh, and that strange green air wick bottle of slime- grandma had the weird … right? Awesome lady. But it leaves you with no fear of anything, really. Well maybe spiders…
giphy.gif

I did too when I was little. My dad threw me in the car and started racing to the hospital. He came to a traffic light and the cop that was directing traffic came over took one look at me in the back seat, I was turning blue. He said follow me sir. He got in his car and turned on the lights and siren. My dad got behind him, he said we were going over a 100 miles an hour down Washington Ave through Bergenfield. There were other cops that had stopped traffic at the lights on the way. At Teaneck they switched to Teaneck, N.J. police led the way. At the hospital my dad grabbed me and threw me into the arms of the first doctor he saw. They rushed me into the back behind the double doors. My dad was out there impatiently waiting to hear what was happening. He asked a dozen times, what is going on with my son. They were telling him to calm down and let the doctors do their work. It will be okay. He said after a while he was just about to go walk into the back himself and see what is going on. That's when he say the doors open about an inch, then they opened a little more, then a little more. He said it was odd so he leaned over and said...Bobby? Next thing he saw was me peeking my head out. He ran over and grabbed me. I was okay. No doctors with me and no explanation. We still don't know what happened. Sorry about the long winded story but you jogged my memory too! True story...odd right?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
I did too when I was little. My dad threw me in the car and started racing to the hospital. He came to a traffic light and the cop that was directing traffic came over took one look at me in the back seat, I was turning blue. He said follow me sir. He got in his car and turned on the lights and siren. My dad got behind him, he said we were going over a 100 miles an hour down Washington Ave through Bergenfield. There were other cops that had stopped traffic at the lights on the way. At Teaneck they switched to Teaneck, N.J. police led the way. At the hospital my dad grabbed me and threw me into the arms of the first doctor he saw. They rushed me into the back behind the double doors. My dad was out there impatiently waiting to hear what was happening. He asked a dozen times, what is going on with my son. They were telling him to calm down and let the doctors do their work. It will be okay. He said after a while he was just about to go walk into the back himself and see what is going on. That's when he say the doors open about an inch, then they opened a little more, then a little more. He said it was odd so he leaned over and said...Bobby? Next thing he saw was me peeking my head out. He ran over and grabbed me. I was okay. No doctors with me and no explanation. We still don't know what happened. Sorry about the long winded story but you jogged my memory too! True story...odd right?
ROBBYBOBBY64.

That’s a trip! Do you remember anything? I had to go home and learn where everything was. It was weird- I could remember stuff that I had forgotten so long ago…. After that,But couldn’t remember so much- ?Like where the cat food was, that I set up 2 weeks earlier, or where kept my purse. Once I remember something, it stays with me? It’s like my brain was a drawer of silverware dumped out on the floor, scooped up and thrown back in a heap- just jumbled? it took a bit but I’d say I’m back 99.99%, I try and fake the rest…

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That’s a trip! Do you remember anything? I had to go home and learn where everything was. It was weird- I could remember stuff that I had forgotten so long ago…. After that,But couldn’t remember so much- ?Like where the cat food was, that I set up 2 weeks earlier, or where kept my purse. Once I remember something, it stays with me? It’s like my brain was a drawer of silverware dumped out on the floor, scooped up and thrown back in a heap- just jumbled? it took a bit but I’d say I’m back 99.99%, I try and fake the rest…

I was too young to remember but now that you mention your after effects is sure does explain alot! Lol! Apparently this happens to young kids, most start breathing again on their own is what I was told. I have no idea how long I was not.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hey Wrangler, RB, et al,

If you ever "go for a reading" you really shouldn't be surprised who shows up (Just put in a request beforehand.) What will surprise you is their appearance. They get to choose from whatever point in their life what they want to look like. ...In any case, I'm glad you both survived your youthful experience to add to a better lifetime/community world.:)

P.S. Wrangler, fuzzy/furry spiders I 've heard, are poisonous. ... I too, have one of those old c.'50s green Air Wicks. Luckily mine was unopened. I guess, they're fairly common. Still has a good luck though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky