What would you like to see in a bottle book?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
One question I keep coming to is.. how 'dead' is the printed word these days?
I figure many if not most people go online to find out whatever they're curious about, unlike the good old days when we went to the book store and picked out a good reference book or field guide.. I still have all of mine but I never use them.
Perhaps if you present it as a high-end coffee table type book, with lots of great pics and historical stuff about the best, the rarest, and the most successful meds of yore.. this way, serious collectors might consider it a "must have" in their library, next to McK's..
The CD rom could contain basic info about all med bottles and be affordable to anyone with a fresh bite from the bottle bug...

RedGinger

Reaction score
I think pictures and drawings would be good for your book. Everyone is attracted to photos, so the more the better imo. I would include as many bottles as you do on your medicine guide. I would also like to see what the current prices are or each bottle.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

One question I keep coming to is.. how 'dead' is the printed word these days?
I figure many if not most people go online to find out whatever they're curious about, unlike the good old days when we went to the book store and picked out a good reference book or field guide.. I still have all of mine but I never use them.
Perhaps if you present it as a high-end coffee table type book, with lots of great pics and historical stuff about the best, the rarest, and the most successful meds of yore.. this way, serious collectors might consider it a "must have" in their library, next to McK's..
The CD rom could contain basic info about all med bottles and be affordable to anyone with a fresh bite from the bottle bug...

I think a bottle "field guide" would sell better, and in the long run help more people. I think if you switched the order it would be great. Maybe the book could come with a CD, and on the CD would be detailed pictures and information about the best and rarest. A black and white text guide to medicines is what I'm out trekking through the antique shops of NJ... [&:]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
how 'dead' is the printed word these days

I use a lot of printed bottle references.
Personally I would rather have them all in digital form.
It makes searching much easier and they dont take up space on a shelf.

From the feedback I have got over the years a lot of people would rather have something on paper.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

How about some privy diggers in action.

I'll leave that for when you write your autobiography "Sick Rick : My Hole Life" [;)]

Hahahaha Its weird you say that,Mike Polak said something on the same lines the other day. Who knows maybe its a sign [:D] I'll have to wait until I get a little older,because my "Hole Life" isn't over yet, i'm still diggin [8D]

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I like the printed word. I always have even though it is more space consuming than a cd. I like pictures over drawings. I like the scale of a bottles worth (such as common, uncommon, scarace, rare, 5 known, 1 of a kind known) more so than actual prices because prices change from year to year. I think all should be included just so new diggers/collectors can get an idea of how scarace they are. I love hardbacks but I also know that really jacks the price up on the author and the buyer. I'll tell you this, I will buy your next book whatever you choose to make it . Kelley

cyberdigger

Reaction score
..lots of good advice and thoughtful opinions here.. it's nice to see the thinking caps on.. [:)]

With prices, I'd say save it for the most valuable ones and cite auction results and the years when appropriate.. I think for all the rest a simple rarity rating would suffice.. maybe a price guide section for frequently bought/sold ones in the $20-100 range..?

rockbot

Reaction score
I like paper. I can take my book to the privy[:D], or outside etc. Usually that is the only free time I have to fantasize about what I would like to have.
Color variations are very important and should be listed. Even common bottles come in not so common colors.

accountantadam

Reaction score
I would definitely like to have something printed. I know I've taken my redbook everywhere with me since I got it, even if I leave it in the car until I see some jars. The rarity rating is a good idea on the common bottles, with more detail for rarer ones.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.
A lot to think about.
A book would give me a good excuse to get a table at some bottle shows.
Anchored to a table, I wouldnt be able to easily elude other forum members[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi