What's up with this color?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skoda

Reaction score
Hi all! I just took a vacation to the UK, first time overseas and it was an amazing time! During the trip I hit up a few antique stores, and while visiting Haworth I found this bottle. It's a typical 3-piece mold whiskey cylinder with convex neck and applied lip, but I was immediately struck by the color- sort of an apricot tone. My question is what is the likelyhood that this has been irradiated? I have seen some examples of aqua bottles turning a similar color when exposed to the same high power UV radiation that turns clear bottles with manganese to dark purple. Has anyone else come across anything in this color that wasn't suspect of being irradiated or is this a color never seen outside of those circumstances?
DSC_0282.JPG

Here it is next to a Lyndeborough citron whiskey and one in honey amber
DSC_0284.JPG

Johnny M

Reaction score
I don't think its been irradiated because it's a fairly common style and type and usually it seems that colors are tampered with to turn generally somewhat scarce bottles into dream colors and exponentially multiply their value. Could be wrong but that's my inclination. Johnny M.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a tough one. The UK gets all sorts of colours that rarely show up on this side of the Atlantic so I wouldn't consider the colour suspect in itself, but I've never seen a whiskey in that colour. Though the export bottles didn't necessarily come in the same colours as their domestic counterparts.

And common bottles are definitely irradiated all the time, it's not like it takes much in the way of resources to run the machine once you've got it set up and it can turn an unsellable slick into a $30+ bottle, which works out to quite a bit of profit when repeated across several boxes of dollar bin bottles. Most if not all of the irradiated bottles I've come across in person have been commons.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18