What's with these?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
EXCAVADETED is not a word, first of all--nor is 'distres.' Secondly, every bottle of theirs I've seen is purple! Here. Also, here. And here (I'm hoping you see the blue to click which takes you to what I'm talking about.) They claim it's due to soil? I see, in the last one aforeposted, that it's partially clear. So, it's not irradiated? What is it? Also, here. And, here. Want more? Here. Try here for one I believe is due to soil. But those others... What's with them being perfectly purple?

goodman1966

Reaction score
You are correct, all your linked purple bottles are irradiated I believe . The last one is the real deal. I could be wrong but nuking them does not affect the surface colors. They are just trying to sell common bottles for a little more. And to me this is far worse than nuking a better bottle and asking way more than its worth. Nuking the commons does not draw the attention that a higher end bottle would. Your getting pretty good at this Robert ! Mitch

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
It doesn't affect surface colors? If I put it in the microwave, it would do that to certain glass-types?Also, how often is a purple bottle the real-deal, and not faked?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
To avoid starting yet another new thread, this bottle says it has a Wooden stopper, which I find questionable as that isn't sanitary. See it here. Same thing as a cork? I've never heard of an all-wooden stopper.
Also, do you think this one is worth it? It appears to be a little nuked, eh?

goodman1966

Reaction score
I'm sorry Bear, the correct term is irradiated. I won't say any more about this, and suggest you use the search feature at the top of the page to learn more about this subject. There are several methods used to accomplish this travesty. It is a practice I will not condone. That last bottle in my opinion is altered. How often ? Hard to say, but if I have any doubt I will not make the purchase. Mitch

goodman1966

Reaction score
Oh and the microwave, I wouldn't do that ! If there is a bubble in the glass it may expand the air in it and........crack!!!!!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yes, they were a gravitating type stopper and made of wood. I forget the patent name but it's similar the Matthews.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi