Bottle Enthusiasts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

slugplate

Reaction score
I joined this site looking for other bottle enthusiasts and knowledgable people to share their expertise. Yet, it's mostly the same half-dozen people who get involved. Although I see a huge amount of hits, there is not a lot of dialogue. Honestly, I didn't foresee the site as a social media sort of venue. I thought there would be a little more interaction and people sharing their expertise and research on bottles. Yes, there's Google, etc., but I think we can all agree that the people out there digging, collecting, hunting, researching, probing and scratching should post the experiential side of it as well. I'm just as guilty folks, I have recently posted mainly finds, but I'm sure there is a large group of people who know a hell of a lot more than I do. I merely write this to encourage participation, not to project guilt, be a contrarian, or discourage posting. We all share the same interest and hobby, but, speaking for myself, don't share the same knowledge.

slugplate

Reaction score
I note there currently 101 guests online - and only 7 members. Gotta get those guests to sign up. I think that would help.
Yeah, I think each forum may be best served with a moderator that stimulates discussion with lead topics in those particular areas. It may help to stimulate more interest and discussion. It's kind of like having the most respected of the group to lead the discussion and provide information in their particular specialty. Right now I'm seeing it as an open forum for any member who cares to act. Maybe it's possible to jump start the team with stimulating history posts, bottle design and manufacturing, timelines of specific designs, etc. I can't speak for everyone, but I think it would be a real boon to the site. All it requires is finding someone to moderate each forum and post a particular theme for discussion, maybe each week. Personally, I think a majority of people that are "guests" are looking only to value their bottles and are not necessarily enthusiasts, collectors, diggers or hunters. I think you may attract a hell of lot more inquisitive members who are more interested in bottles than on how much they're worth or what it is.

embe

Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you what. I've learned plenty on this site since joining a couple months ago and surely appreciate knowing a bit more than I did before.

slugplate

Reaction score
Well, I'll tell you what. I've learned plenty on this site since joining a couple months ago and surely appreciate knowing a bit more than I did before.
Hi Embe, it was just a personal observation to encourage more involvement. I am by no means putting the site down, I'm honestly hoping to stimulate discussion and draw more people in. I do agree with you and please understand I had no intention of creating animus. If I remained in the wings and didn't share my thoughts I'd feel uncaring. I do care and that's why I kind of stirred the pot last night. It was not posted to attack members or the site, it was because I was really trying to help. It may seem like I was being tough, on the contrary, I care enough about the site to point out what I see. If I didn't care about AB, which I see can be one of the finest sites for bottle enthusiasts, I'd certainly remain quiet.

Screwtop

Reaction score
I agree, and I've noticed this on a few other forums.

I like talking, but I'm not really encouraged to yak my fingers off, if no one is listening...

WesternPA-collector

Reaction score
Slugplate I get what you are saying. I am one of those who put many hours into research and documenting things here, and where did it all go? It's hard to get motivated to continue doing it here when it can all be deleted at someone's whim.

sandchip

Reaction score
There have been instances where someone would post pictures of some really nice glass with zero response aside from my own. That has to be very discouraging to the poster and likely to cause them to not waste their time here in the future. Hard to expect folks to hang around with us when all they get are crickets. We finally have a "like" buttton which helps tremendously if one doesn't have the time to reply or has little to say, but it too needs to be used.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger