Whiskey Jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
All due respect to Mr. Lacher, his great jugs,(I believe yours are original.) but putting a 4 on a one gallon jug--I am shocked :eek:. Its a good thing TR didn't find out about it. No doubt practices like this lead to that 1912 federal law requiring the capacity be placed on bottles in ounces. "Bully!";)
Yeah, you're right. All references I have found to "C. Lacher" whiskey jugs have the number "4" on the label -- the Mississippi Bottle Book and two separate half gallon jugs all list the "4". No doubt that meant something to Mr. Lacher, but what I have not found out! Certainly is unclear labeling.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
I'm no expert but didn't whiskey jugs once have X's on them to denote how many times distilled the whiskey was? So maybe instead of 4 X's they just made the number 4 to indicate the whiskey was distilled 4 times?

Reaction score
I'm no expert but didn't whiskey jugs once have X's on them to denote how many times distilled the whiskey was? So maybe instead of 4 X's they just made the number 4 to indicate the whiskey was distilled 4 times?
Beats me. Apparently this "4" on all of his labels meant something to him -- and I hope to his customers! I don't have a clue!

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
This Mississippi mystery just got a little muddier. Give it a little time and hopefully a local source with historical ties or a digital research wizard will tap a seldom heard of base and the answer becomes clearer. The current of time must run its course. Meanwhile, as they sing in Boston, "...love that dirty water. Whoa, Whoa, Whoa..." And Mailman 1960 would likely add "Giddy Up!"

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
If you were in a town laid siege to by US Grant you'd be drinking too and for a long time after the war as well. The Confederate commander in Vicksburg went down to the Atlanta area post hostilities and helped start a world fav--Coke. :cool:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora