Whiskey Jug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I recently found a Half Gallon whiskey jug -- "C. Lacher", Vicksburg, Miss." This is a brown glazed jug with the information 'scratched' on. What I don't know is why the number "4" is etched on the label. I would appreciate any help. Please check out the photo. Mike

Attachments

• Half Gal -- C. Lacher 2b, Scratch, Vicksburg.JPG
    Half Gal -- C. Lacher 2b, Scratch, Vicksburg.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 109

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Nice find. Sort of hard to see if the scratch has age to it. Normally the "4" would indicate gallon capacity. Compare to other 4 gal. jugs. If not up to size it might be a tourist souvenir repro. (Still will have a little value.) Lets hope its a real one.

Welcome aboard Mississippi Mike. :)

driftwood

Reaction score
I recently found a Half Gallon whiskey jug -- "C. Lacher", Vicksburg, Miss." This is a brown glazed jug with the information 'scratched' on. What I don't know is why the number "4" is etched on the label. I would appreciate any help. Please check out the photo. Mike
Nice find. This is the only info I could find on Charles J Lacher. If it was a gal size jug, the 4 would make sense, 4 qts in a gal.

Attachments

• LACHER SALOON 1906.PNG
    LACHER SALOON 1906.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
The jug measures to be a Half Gallon. It has obvious age to it -- especially the bottom and a large chip at the base. There would be four pints in a half gallon ( two-quart jug ), but it is not usual to see a half gallon jug marked in this way. That said, I just now got up and checked, and found my other C. Lacher half gallon jug, which I have had for a long time, also has a '4' on the label -- I had just not noticed this before. This one is a cream colored jug with a printed label. SEE PHOTO.

Attachments

• Half Gal -- C. Lacher, Vicksburg, Miss.JPG
    Half Gal -- C. Lacher, Vicksburg, Miss.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 86
Reaction score
Nice find. Sort of hard to see if the scratch has age to it. Normally the "4" would indicate gallon capacity. Compare to other 4 gal. jugs. If not up to size it might be a tourist souvenir repro. (Still will have a little value.) Lets hope its a real one.

Welcome aboard Mississippi Mike. :)
I just found the 'reply' button. I had already posted another explanation and photo, so please scroll and find it.

Reaction score
Nice find. This is the only info I could find on Charles J Lacher. If it was a gal size jug, the 4 would make sense, 4 qts in a gal.
I found a reference to C. Lacher in a jug book. See photos. Doesn't answer any of my questions, but the book info includes the number "4".
I did find a reference to "C. Lacher" in a 'jug book. See photos. Didn't answer my question though.

Attachments

• Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Scan13.jpg
    Scan13.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 92

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
All due respect to Mr. Lacher, his great jugs,(I believe yours are original.) but putting a 4 on a one gallon jug--I am shocked :eek:. Its a good thing TR didn't find out about it. No doubt practices like this lead to that 1912 federal law requiring the capacity be placed on bottles in ounces. "Bully!";)

driftwood

Reaction score
I found a reference to C. Lacher in a jug book. See photos. Doesn't answer any of my questions, but the book info includes the number "4".

I did find a reference to "C. Lacher" in a 'jug book. See photos. Didn't answer my question though.
Wow.....Vicksburg sure had a lot of jugs.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger