Who Coined The Term?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
While collecting bottles has been an American hobby since the days of historic flasks, bottling collecting as we understand it today only goes back to the late 1950s.
Since then, a number of collector terms have been coined by collectors. While we all understand these terms today and use them in our glass-related discourse, their origins are at risk of being forgotten.
In effort to preserve the history of our hobby, I would like to compile where our unique lingo came from and when each term came to be popularly accepted.
As such, this thread is dedicated to collector terms, and it is my hope that those who know the origins of those terms, or other terms not listed in this post, will share them.

Who Coined These Terms?
Slick
Crier
Flea-Bites
Bruise (Damage)
Attic-Mint
Sun-Colored Amethyst
Torpedo
Lady's Leg
Sick/Stained Glass
Tumbler/Tumbling (Machine)
Whittled
Blob top
Strap-Side
Straight-Side
Art Deco Bottle
Puff-Blown

My only potential lead for this is for the term "flea bite", which I was once told is attributed to the late Frank Hill of Muskegon, Michigan. He was an avid digger and collector of antique bottles. The term was interchangeably used with "pings."

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
These would be pretty tough to ever definitively pin down an origin for. For art deco, I think it's a misnomer that evolved from deco bottle as in decorated bottle. Most of them have nothing to do with art deco design. The term deco bottle very may well predate collecting.

Tumbling was an idea which predated bottle collecting. The idea of a bottle tumbler was just building upon the idea of a rock tumbler. I'm not sure whether or not it's known who invented the bottle tumbler.

Another term I'm curious about is "pony blob". Is pony a collecting term or a 19th century term? What do those bottles have to do with ponies in the first place?
Some other terms that might be specific to bottle collectors are "bowling pin bottle", "BIM/BIMAL", and "tooled lip." Not sure if those are older terms or not.

slugplate

Reaction score
Also, the term "Fish Eye" which I find on some bottles. Some may refer to it as just a bruise, but this one looks like a fish's eye.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Probably never know who actually came up with these terms, collectors heard others say them and started using them because it was an easy way to be understood when talking about a particular bottle or feature.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp