Who Collects Black Glass?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, timeinabottle, for reminding me of this thread. Perhaps there are new black glass finds to be shared. Here's an interesting master ink bottle. It appears that this bottle was blown in a 3-piece mold which was an ale bottle mold doing double-duty. That's what I surmise, anyway. What do you think?

inkmasterblackglass.jpg
ink_masterinksblkandcobalt.jpg
ink_black.JPG

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Thank you, timeinabottle, for reminding me of this thread. Perhaps there are new black glass finds to be shared. Here's an interesting master ink bottle. It appears that this bottle was blown in a 3-piece mold which was an ale bottle mold doing double-duty. That's what I surmise, anyway. What do you think?

View attachment 243016View attachment 243017View attachment 243018
I’m not educated enough in this style if bottle to give a good opinion! It certainly has the shape of an ale bottle though. It’s sexy for sure!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
These 3 are new to me. I’m a novice to this style. Why are they called black glass when they aren’t black?
Some glass IS opaque black or nearly so. By convention, the term has been expanded to include (usually) olive-green and olive-amber glass which is less opaque. Black glass, in collector parlance, usually refers to 18th and 19th Century glass with an olive-green or olive-amber cast. Even within this blanket definition, there are extensions such as less opaque "black-amber, black-green, even black-amethyst.

Examples are easy, though exceptions are not rare. Here is a black-amethyst bottle that is near-opaque . . . the light behind it is from a 500watt photographic bulb.

demiamethyst.jpg
demiamethystb.jpg

This bottle is near-opaque black glass:
Demi_black_belly.JPG

Demi_black_belly_lip.JPG

timeandabottle

Reaction score
Harry, I'm glad you post pics of some of the most amazing bottles you have in your collection. If anything, it gives me greater motivation to keep hunting and digging. Your website is pretty amazing too and I highly recommend it.
I’d like the link to that site if you’re willing to share please.

Mudbug

Reaction score
Most of you have probably seen it, but I'll throw it on to keep things rolling. "Washington - Purifier - M.A. Micklejohn, N.O." Pontil's a little weak but we can't have everything.

View attachment 203187 View attachment 203188

Most of you have probably seen it, but I'll throw it on to keep things rolling. "Washington - Purifier - M.A. Micklejohn, N.O." Pontil's a little weak but we can't have everything.
Very, very nice piece. Highly prized bottle from my neck of the woods. He was only in business for a couple years and the bottles for the "cure" sure are nice. I dug the M.A.Micklejohn Gout and Rheumatism O.P. version back in the 1980's in a privy full of 1880's hutchinson type bottles. I couldn't believe my eyes when it rolled out. Musta been in grandma's medicine chest and she decided to toss it in the hole. Probably went "bad". L O L

sandchip

Reaction score
Very, very nice piece. Highly prized bottle from my neck of the woods. He was only in business for a couple years and the bottles for the "cure" sure are nice. I dug the M.A.Micklejohn Gout and Rheumatism O.P. version back in the 1980's in a privy full of 1880's hutchinson type bottles. I couldn't believe my eyes when it rolled out. Musta been in grandma's medicine chest and she decided to toss it in the hole. Probably went "bad". L O L
Do you have a picture of the bottle you found? I've heard of the Purifier and the Internal Remedy for Rheumatism, but not one with Gout. Would love to see a picture of it.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I am fond of these flared wide-mouth jars from the early 1800s. The center jar is German, I believe. The left and right jars are French. The center jar is too light yellowish-green to be considered "black glass" IMO. The other two are definitely black glass.

bocauxtriomixC.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown