Wicker covered Rum?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coreya

Reaction score
Found this today for a buck, could it be an old Bacardi rum? Didn't know they came this way and it's a shame the label isn't complete!!! " />

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again Corey, I think it is a beauty!!!!! just the way it is. I have eleven or twelve different wicker and reed covered bottles. And I left the covering on because of the craftsmanship in the covering with different reeds and patterns of the coverings. I think all of them have an applied straight tapered finish on them. This last summer I got a chance at another one that also had a matching bottle that had the wicker taken off of it. I started an article of coverage for Joe Pastors magazine, but my camera wouldn't work - so the article will wait until next summer. I just don't have the heart to take the covering off any of them because of the fact that it is part of the product. If you are selling it - as is - please let me know. RED Matthews

coreya

Reaction score
Red thanks for the offer, anytime you are up Ocala way stop in and I'm sure you will leave with a bunch! As to the wicker covering I will leave it intact as like you said it's part of the history.

sandchip

Reaction score
coreya said:
Anybody any idea of age?

Can you tell anything about the base? If it's covered, you might look down through the top and tell if it's pontilled or not.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Looking at the label and wrapping I'd say just around prohibition. Cuba was still a hotspot so during is totally possible.

coreya

Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be a pontil but the top is applied, glass has a lot of bubbles here and there. I think eric has it spot on. Any suggestions as to preserving the wicker wrap as its pretty brittle.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Corey, I don't have your email address. I use two emails and the main one for bottles and glass is: <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>. I am sure you would like to visit my bottle den - and the visit could cover a lot about glass making. If you you come down I-75, we live close to the Clark Road exit heading east on Clark Road. It is a retirement complex of over 300 modular homes for old retired people like us. I doesn't have much room for bottles, but I wouldn't have moved here unless I got the small bedroom for a bottle den. It is my center of living any more. Mortgage payments,Taxes, Hurricane Insurance, Fire Insurance and Flood Insurance dam nearbankrupted us after retirement - so it was a mandated reality. And - We like it for the small amount of time we have left, it is a comfortable way to live. There I have told you a lot of reality.Our bottle club here, was closed down when the president passed away, and those left were mostly too old to want to keep it going - so they closed it down. My bottle collecting started when I was nine years old, and a big percentage of my life has been spent in the study and collecting of the hand made glass, that of the early bottle and glass blowers produced. So that is where we are today.RED Matthews - and what is left now is white.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18