Wine testing/Cologne bottle - name

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

102viadeluna

Reaction score
Help! I've had complete mind blockage and can't remember the name of the following bottle!

No matter how I use Google I can't seem to get the right words together!
I've given my sister one and just can't remember how to find out about it!

Thanks, Frank

Skoda

Reaction score
They definitely contained cologne and is not of US origin; likely made in Germany. I've seen these quite a bit here and doing a little digging it seems it was popularly used to bottle Johann Maria Farina Eu De Cologne, which is still made to this day.
Here's an article on it with one of those interesting tapered bottles.

Here's two antique ones and a modern iteration

1653875680964.png

102viadeluna

Reaction score
Help! I've had complete mind blockage and can't remember the name of the following bottle!

No matter how I use Google I can't seem to get the right words together!
I've given my sister one and just can't remember how to find out about it!

Thanks, Frank
They definitely contained cologne and is not of US origin; likely made in Germany. I've seen these quite a bit here and doing a little digging it seems it was popularly used to bottle Johann Maria Farina Eu De Cologne, which is still made to this day.
Here's an article on it with one of those interesting tapered bottles.

Here's two antique ones and a modern iteration

View attachment 237266

102viadeluna

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
Now if can figure out how to word a Google request for info on this bottle for its use in checking the aging of wine in a wine keg.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Are you confusing a glass hydrometer with this cologne bottle? All the wine testers on French eBay are low-rimmed sterling cups.

willong

Reaction score
Wine thief?
I intended to suggest that too. Since you beat me to it, I'll elaborate a little.

Because the cologne bottle is such small diameter it might have fit through through the bung hole of wine casks to extract a sample for someone who didn't actually have a wine thief. I can't imagine a commercial winery not possessing the purpose-built device, but a hobbyist or home vintner might presumably attach a stiff wire to the neck of the bottle to fashion a makeshift thief.

Dedicated wine thief:

1654093718873.png

A tall cylindrical vessel is used with a hydrometer, and the cylinder need not be graduated as the hydrometer itself is marked. If the neck of the cologne bottle is not too narrow to permit introduction of a hydrometer it might have been employed in that capacity.

1654094410558.png

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi