Wistarburgh 1740 to 1750 ( mallet ) or Porter bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Eric maybe Red Mathews can explain how the Makers mark was applied. I know there are other Wistar examples where the letters were pressed onto the bases of case bottles.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I was responding to charlie's acid bath comment with a more technical explanation.
I'm sure charlie didnt need to hear it but other new collectors may not be familiar with the term.
and yes I would love to see an undug example, wouldnt everyone?

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Nice bottle for sure but I'm more interested in how they made the "C". There where is always nice to know but I don't see the how. I would think it's nearly impossible for the time frame of free blown, rolled, paddled, dip molded or whatever. I guess a dip mold could but wouldn't the "C" get ruined in the final steps?
Can you direct me to a good reference on the true how they made the glass back then? Please don't say Van den Bossche, I can't afford that one.[:eek:]

That's certainly the fascinating bit. I would feel pretty sure there is no reason why the pontil might not have been the dual pontil and "C"marking device in this instance. I must admit though I can't think of any other instances of base embossing this early, but certainly there are some fairly early and rudimentary side embossings on squats and wide bodied "convict" types. Those enigmatic "III" "IV" and "BGW" etc etc marked bottles.
I would have expected to see more base marked bottles though from other companies, as this obviously DID work reasonably well on your bottle. Just another of those enigmas that makes bottle collecting so fascinating.
I will see if I can find you a cheap copy of WVDB though CSM. The shipping doesn't help though!!!!!!:)
regards
earlyglasscollector www.earlyglass.com

cyberdigger

Reaction score
...that was indeed a nice gesture on the part of your loved ones...! I meant no harm with my acid bath remark, just kinda looks like that.. that bottle would be prominently displayed in my collection, it's full of character and history, with a cherry on top! [:)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

...that was indeed a nice gesture on the part of your loved ones...! I meant no harm with my acid bath remark, just kinda looks like that.. that bottle would be prominently displayed in my collection, it's full of character and history, with a cherry on top! [:)]
Acidic Soil reaction...

C38FFAE6E32F4B339CC86DDB7763DFC5.jpg

Attachments

• C38FFAE6E32F4B339CC86DDB7763DFC5.jpg
    C38FFAE6E32F4B339CC86DDB7763DFC5.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 138

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
No problem Chuck I was never insulted, was just messin mainly with Matt. John Olditractor has my back the fellow South Jersey boy he is and he lives near Wistarburgh so he is OK in my book. Jim they look exactly like the mallet bottle in texture. I explained the same thing to Melinda in a private message last night in how soil and water laced with an acidic flavor will do this to any bottle in the right conditions after she defended poor old Matt earlier in this post[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D] this means I am kidding Melinda OK[:D] I like Matt he is very thorough,I like Chuck he is very....I dont how to describe him, Ok he is caring and non controversial, I like E package he is becoming the fastest info trigger on this forum. I like you to Melinda not a bad bone in your body I mean that sincerely. Thanks everyone who commented The bottle is a neat one.

bostaurus

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

No problem Chuck I was never insulted, was just messin mainly with Matt. John Olditractor has my back the fellow South Jersey boy he is and he lives near Wistarburgh so he is OK in my book. Jim they look exactly like the mallet bottle in texture. I explained the same thing to Melinda in a private message last night in how soil and water laced with an acidic flavor will do this to any bottle in the right conditions after she defended poor old Matt earlier in this post[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D] this means I am kidding Melinda OK[:D] I like Matt he is very thorough,I like Chuck he is very....I dont how to describe him, Ok he is caring and non controversial, I like E package he is becoming the fastest info trigger on this forum. I like you to Melinda not a bad bone in your body I mean that sincerely. Thanks everyone who commented The bottle is a neat one.

I guess this Southern girl will never get used to you Jersey boys, but you do keep things lively.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bostaurus
I guess this Southern girl will never get used to you Jersey boys, but you do keep things lively.
Don't they???[;)]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky