Wistarburgh medicine vial and a cylinder small utility bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
All I can say it that if they went to that extent it had a purpose. It may have been a barometer or something that would not have had a wicker or other covering.
I can't help with anything, especially attributing it a specific glasshouse.

WEB44

Reaction score
Wistarburgh Glass ID.

Thank you Harry, just the informed quality of info. I have been looking for, my early gl. blowing procedures is limited.
Now with no pontil or any trace of a polished pontil & the "snap tools" didn't appear in North America until early 1800's.

IF my bottle is 18th cent., there had to be a way to hold the bottle for finishing, could the bottle have been held on the lower part of the neck? There is exterior blemishes/scars in that area.

Other forum members have stated that glass gall which is a yellowy sandy substance with the texture of cement grout
is a sure sign of a Wistarburgh piece. I think the below pic speaks for itself.

06A-vert.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
You are making the logical error of trying to make the evidence fit your conclusion. As I view the evidence, your bottle may or may not be USA-made. Your bottle probably dates to the 19th Century rather than the 18th C. Your bottle is unlikely to be from Wistarburgh.

Glass gall is a well-understood phenomenon that has nothing at all to do with the tiny inclusions in your bottle. Cite your authorities by name; I don't think other forum members will agree with your definition of glass gall. This is glass gall:
black_glassgall_base.jpg black_glassgall_full.jpg

WEB44

Reaction score
Thank you Harry
The reason I added to this particular thread was because of its comments on Wistar gall and to get a better understanding of early bottle making.
Yes, sometimes in my excitement I present things incorrectly based on my limited knowledge, but thanks to replies, I usually end up a few steps further up on the ladder.

Wistarburgh gall/slag has a distinctive appearance, unlike what you have shown. The verbal descriptions shown below was my first introduction.
Steve Sewell "a yellowy sandy substance"
Stephen Atkinson "white yellowy looking substance with the texture of cement grout"
These comments seemed to relate to what I was looking at in my bottle.

Also in this thread Steve Sewell stated
"It almost looks like a potstone type of material but its different then that. It is swirled into the glass and comes out like veins in a marble slag. Hard to explain but seen quite often on Wistar made glass."
He also mentioned the gall has been imbedded on the lower side of the body, away from the pontil." Again present in mine.

Was first attracted to early New Jersey bottles by the similarities in color.

View attachment 168574

Next, and more important, was the similarities with the finish.

HISTORICALGLASS.COM
"All Wistar collars are wraped, or threaded, around the mouth and then reheated and tooled to shape.
It is a great illusion, some of the lips are so perfect that they look like they were made in some kind of a mold. In some cases they even appear as if to be folded over from the neck gather."

010.jpg
The interior on my bottle where the applied meets the neck is void of any roughness, very smooth, a tooled lip appearance.

09A.jpg

Willy Van den Bossche's book "Antique Glass Bottles" showed the only U.K. / Continental example similiar in shape.

02.jpg

Anyway, mystery bottles do provide for exciting on-line research.
Harry, your thoughts the bottle is 19th cent. is most likely correct, but I enjoy playing with the wild card, in regards to Dr. Owen's chemical analyses ($200.) will need some positive comments before running out to the lab.

Last edited:

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Both the Steves are the same. He doesn't come around here anymore that I've noticed (I don't think he ever re-registered) but if his site has a "contact" you can try it.

WEB44

Reaction score
Thanks, was wondering if the Steve's were one and the same, actually several weeks ago tried contacting through his website & direct emails with no replies. Have had email replies from Hank Flowers, he has been very generous with his knowledge.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you Harry
The reason I added to this particular thread was because of its comments on Wistar gall and to get a better understanding of early bottle making.
Yes, sometimes in my excitement I present things incorrectly based on my limited knowledge, but thanks to replies, I usually end up a few steps further up on the ladder.

Wistarburgh gall/slag has a distinctive appearance, unlike what you have shown. The verbal descriptions shown below was my first introduction.
Steve Sewell "a yellowy sandy substance"
Stephen Atkinson "white yellowy looking substance with the texture of cement grout"
These comments seemed to relate to what I was looking at in my bottle.

Also in this thread Steve Sewell stated
"It almost looks like a potstone type of material but its different then that. It is swirled into the glass and comes out like veins in a marble slag. Hard to explain but seen quite often on Wistar made glass."
He also mentioned the gall has been imbedded on the lower side of the body, away from the pontil." Again present in mine.

Was first attracted to early New Jersey bottles by the similarities in color.

View attachment 168574

Next, and more important, was the similarities with the finish.

HISTORICALGLASS.COM
"All Wistar collars are wraped, or threaded, around the mouth and then reheated and tooled to shape.
It is a great illusion, some of the lips are so perfect that they look like they were made in some kind of a mold. In some cases they even appear as if to be folded over from the neck gather."

View attachment 168575
The interior on my bottle where the applied meets the neck is void of any roughness, very smooth, a tooled lip appearance.

Willy Van den Bossche's book "Antique Glass Bottles" showed the only U.K. / Continental example similiar in shape.

View attachment 168577

Anyway, mystery bottles do provide for exciting on-line research.
Harry, your thoughts the bottle is 19th cent. is most likely correct, but I enjoy playing with the wild card, in regards to Dr. Owen's chemical analyses ($200.) will need some positive comments before running out to the lab.

I see that I was crediting you, Web44, for Steve Sewell's 2010 unusual ideas.

McKearin/Wilson provides information about Wistarburgh glass. They suggest, based on excavations, the factory produced green window glass and bottles. The bottles ranged from onions to tall cylinders wine bottles, and included gallon-size bottles (demijohns) which are mentioned in C. Wistar's will. This bottle is far more likely to have been made at Wistarburgh than your flask:
demi_1760.JPG
All the Riga Balsam flasks have blowpipe pontil scars. Turn to Van den Bossche's Plate 138 to see ovoid Spa (mineral water) bottles without pontil scars (and without much of a lip finish). While there, glance at the opposing page which illustrates glass gall on a bottle.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1