wondering...is it in poor taste to let maganese glass turn purple?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, how long of a time frame would it take for this type of glass to turn purple if left in a sunny windowsill? weeks? months? years?
The window glass itself will absorb much of the UV. In the 1960's, it was not uncommon for bottle collectors in sunny locales to array their clear-glass finds on a house roof for maximum exposure. Even at that, I would not expect noticeable results in less than year-order time spans.

I welcome correction and comment from anyone who has had quicker results.

Digger 57

Reaction score
I really love the shades of purple this glass can turn, but I read some articles online saying that this type of glass turning purple from sun exposure is technically damaging it. Also, apparently some people are...intentionally irradiating it artificially? I was just wondering people's opinions on this. I kind of want my glass to turn purple, but not that garish shade I see in some pictures (I'm assuming this is the irradiated variety?)
I like it to. But only when it's done naturally by the sun .the ones done by irradiation look like there fake.

Digger 57

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, how long of a time frame would it take for this type of glass to turn purple if left in a sunny windowsill? weeks? months? years?
Years

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky