Worst accident you had while digging?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

KBbottles

Reaction score
Kneeled down on a shard of glass once that went nice and deep in my knee. The strange thing is I never even felt it! Dug the whole day with no pain. Maybe it was adrenaline from finding bottles in the pit that kept me from even noticing. Got home and realized my jeans were stuck to my leg from dried blood. Showered, found the deep open wound and cleaned it up real good. Healed fine but left a small scar. I don't particularly mind the scar because it reminds me of a great day of digging.

sunrunner

Reaction score
digging in camden n.j awell back,my partner,whent,to getus some thing to drink at a corner store.i was coming out of the hole,whan i see this girl coming over,now,wev been diging all morning,so in looking pritty grouby,well the girl walks rightup to me and ask me if i woud like to have a littel fun,for 10.00s.i toled her i was having enough fun.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I've told this story before but I had a digging partner hit me in the head with a shovel. I'll look for it and post a link. It was mildly amusing . . .

cacarpetbagger

Reaction score
Worst cut I've had was when I put my finger inside the mouth of a jar and pulled it out of the wall. A bit chunk broke off and cut the tip of my right index finger almost off. Not bone or fingernail just the meat. I've never been accused of being smart. I jammed it into the palm of my other hand and my buddy drove me to the ER. Doc laid me out on a table and said don't watch but of course I looked up just in time see him finish cutting the tip of my finger the rest of the way off. Then I had a little girly fainting episode. He then carved all the meat from the skin and put the skin back where it belonged and sewed it back on. I remember he kept moving the skin around until he got it lined up just right. Did a fine job and it only cost me $125, which was a chunk of change in 1975. I was always more careful after that.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sunrunner

digging in camden n.j awell back,my partner,whent,to getus some thing to drink at a corner store.i was coming out of the hole,whan i see this girl coming over,now,wev been diging all morning,so in looking pritty grouby,well the girl walks rightup to me and ask me if i woud like to have a littel fun,for 10.00s.i toled her i was having enough fun.

You should have gave her 10 and told her to dig to the use layer lol[8D]
10 bucks? that must hav been a while ago [8D]

BellwoodBoys

Reaction score
The worst digging accident I've ever had is when the base of a local amber crowntop was sticking out of the ground. I reached into the small hole to grab the base and was cut by a piece of rusty metal. It was a good thing my friend brought disinfectant spray. I also got the bottle out shortly after.

stumpr

Reaction score
I was digging out an early war Yankee trash pit with my son. He spots a bottle and points to an area below the brick. I move the shovel to get a better view of the bottle, slip and put my entrenching shovel through the neck of a Masonic Seeing Eye flask that was above the brick. Only bottle I have ever broken but what a bottle to break!

JustGlass

Reaction score
Both accidents I had while digging were minor but uncomfortable. I was pulling on a tree root because a bottle was wedge underneath it and it let loose sending dirt up into my eyes. It took a few minutes before I could see clearly. I also was moving some rocks that had bottles underneath them and pinched my fingers between them. I have never broke a bottle while digging, I just wait to get home to do it.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
As promised, shovel in the head story (here on the forum) . . .

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/A-commical-story-about-my-first-dig/m-196708/tm.htm

AMChandler

Reaction score
I cut my finger pretty good one time. It kept bleeding and wouldn't stop. I packed it with some mud and kept on truckin!
I also wear gloves now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora