Worst accident you had while digging?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dugout

Reaction score
When I was about 7 we were out rock hunting. I was with my Dad and he saw a rock he wanted to bust open with his rock hammer. So he hit it and the corner of his rock hammer embeded itself into my left inner thigh. The blood came squirting out and my Dad was hollering "Mother!!" And I will never forget Mom come running from where ever she was looking around. They took me to the hospital. The exray showed that it was very near the bone therefore they could not operate. Since it was steel they could leave it in there. They said it would form a core around it and remain there or possibly my body would eventually absorb it. I will always have the small scar on my leg and it has not deterred my love of rock hunting. Who else can say they carry a part of their Dad's rock hammer within.

rockbot

Reaction score
I had the good fortune to be digging a riverside dump that produced 28 sodas. Had the bad fortune of returning the following week and slipping down the steep riverbank and gashing my knee. Only 23 stitches. Went back digging two weeks later and finished that darn dump![8D]

MisterSilverSearcher

Reaction score
Haha forgot to check back and see if anyone asked anything. To answer: Yes, I had to tough it out with some simple bandages. Luckily I always carry some Neosporin on me and used that. I got stitches later on that day.

bottlebuzzard

Reaction score
WAS THIS RECENT LIKE LAST FALL ?I HEARD ABOUT IT ON THE NEWS IF SO
ORIGINAL: southern Maine diver

While diving for bottles, I've seen some "out of air" situations, but recently, a freind of mine was diving for bottles and found an unexploded Civil War "Parrot" cannon round in about 25' of water. He had to call the Coast Guard, harbor master, state police, local police, US Navy shipyard, Marine patrol, bomb squad, Maine and NH archeologists... it was a nightmare for him! It had been underwater for more than 150 years and was a "Civil war" artifact. In the end, the state ended up detonating the warhead because they were unable to preserve it. Oh well...

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Bottlebuzzard...

Welcome to the forum... and yes, it was last year that the "Parrot" round was found. Rob Love was the name of my friend who found it. The archiologists hounded the hell out of him because he wouldn't reveal the exact location of the round. He took underwater photos of it and everyone told him that is looked like a discarded oxygen cylinder or an old scuba tank. Well, Rob was in the British artillery for six years.

So when word got out that he was looking to sell it, then the state archeologists got involved. The navy finally sent a dive team to the site (they couldn't find it either) so Rob jumped back in the water and had to point it out to them!! The state coluldn't get the round disarmed, so it was detonated...

myersdiggers1998

Reaction score
Mine was an accident that almost was. I had a long deep trench pit going and it was down 6 feet . I took a lunch break and was down washing my hands in the river ,when I heard a loud crack. I looked up the bank and realized a twentyfive foot section had given way and buried my hole.The whole thing slid four feet. I would have been crushed and buried for good. The good thing was a nice crock appeared in the crack, and my life was spared .I dont trench dig anymore,and I try not to tunnel, but still do on occasions.I have a numb pinky finger tip to from glass cutting a nerve once, its the price we pay for our passions.

digginthedog

Reaction score
I once set My digging bag down on an in ground Bee's nest, as I reached for My shovel, I saw them and knew it was to late... They wrecked Me that day ... JB

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora