Wow this place is dead lately

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Admin said:
epgorge said:
What happens to the site when your say, 90+ and can "no longer do"? Got a twenty year plan?

I do think about that quite often [:)] My current thoughts are that when the time comes I will put the available options to the Members and let them decide which option is the best. I expect the Members will elect to pass it to an institution or organization rather than another individual.
That should cut down 50% or so of the reasons members leave, although add just as many that will.

No general chat? [:D]

botlenut

Reaction score
[font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"] I have also noticed a drop in new activity on here. I dont contribute much myself though for a few reasons. I have not dug a bottle in 2 years now after a Career ending compound fracture to my arm. I now have a metal plate, and 9 screws holding it together. Had to leave my Job, which has led to less Disposable income to buy bottles. I have not added to my collection in quite some time. I pick a few up here and there for re-sale, but nothing killer worth posting. I still have my main Collections of Bottles, which I have shared pictures of on here a few times. The pattern I also see, is more and more Collectors are migrating to the Facebook Bottle Groups, and that seams to have taken over as the place where everyone is hanging out. Happy Holidays, and a prosperous New Year to all members on here. If I get something exciting to share, I will surely do so.[/font]

sandchip

Reaction score
Here I go, I reckon. How about this: I'm not a techwhiz, but I can see it in my mind. Take picture(s) of good example(s) of bubbly, whittled blue aqua glass, digitally patched together or in a repeating pattern, and use it as a background in that area outside the message boxes. The blue was a little hard to read, so keep the white in the text areas, and still keep that old site feeling with some updated blue in the empty fringe areas. Sorta like artifactsguide.com with the gray boards around the edges if I'm not making any sense here. I don't know how it's done whether with PhotoShop or what, but I know there are enough brains here to know how to do it. Also, when you post a picture on artifactguide, you type your text, hit "manage attachments", and a box with 10 browse buttons comes up so that you can post up to that many pictures, each up to 200k, at one time, without going through so doggone many steps. I, and others have posted things like wanting to post multiple pictures (in a simple, quick way) or how to upload a picture for our avatar, but issues like those always seems to die on the spot, leaving us to think that maybe the new site is it, with no chance of things being tweeked and improved as time progresses. That in itself could be a possible cause for frustration and a subsequent reduction in site traffic. I believe personal avatars alone, would do a lot to liven up the appearance and raise spirits. I'll post, one pic at a time if need be, if I find anything, which is seldom with free time at a premium right now, so maybe that's a reason too for things being slow. Personally, I believe it's a combination of factors, but little visual embellishments, coupled with making picture posting as easy as possible might give our meeting place the shot in the arm that it needs. Love you bottleheads, and Merry Christmas.

Plumbata

Reaction score
After 2011 or so it seemed that things gradually became less lively, but practically imperceptible compared to the shift from the blue to present forum layout. I think that several reciprocating factors were at play. The blue pages were distinct and extremely familiar to us longer-term users. We were very comfortable with the appearance and mechanics, and with such familiarity communication and sharing was rather smooth and "natural". When the new format appeared these pages felt nothing like the predecessor, as if the soul or identity had been removed. That is not the case of course, but the subconscious vibes and associations and pleasant familiarity built over years of interaction on the blue pages were no longer triggered/activated by this unfamiliar place. It didn't "feel right" and as such I didn't participate like I would have otherwise (also because I couldn't figure out how to post for a bit, heh). With existing members inclined to contribute coming here and encountering the new foreign format at roughly the same time, the lack of familiarity made it difficult to do so, and quickly several days passed with a significantly decreased level of posting activity. That lack of initial activity compounded itself, as folks interpreted the low activity as a depressing indication of the apparent dissolution of the community, and as such their possible contributions would be irrelevant. With dozens of people reacting similarly in a short space of time, it's no wonder that the place seems "dead". That temporary disruption of the vibe continues to reverberate, but I'd bet a welcoming and attractive level of activity could be reestablished rather easily. A few people flooding the different subforums with new content as well as relevant commentary would re-set the decidedly unwelcoming "last post 3 weeks ago" or whatever tags on the subforums, and like a new paint job would make the place seem more lively and interactive. Might be a bit contrived at first but I bet it would be an effective way to prime the engines here.

sandchip

Reaction score
Admin said:
Avatars are possible but I am aware that not everyone wants them. There would have to be strict rules about what can appear in an Avatar and strict rules are a pain in the ---- to formulate and administer. I will start a separate thread after Christmas so we can debate the pros and cons.....

Point well taken. I just use a close-up section of a good bottle or artifact, but you're right, some people will use risque pictures, or politically or socially inflammatory subjects, etc., so I can definitely see your concerns and the need for strict rules. What do you think of the aqua glass border idea? Doable?

GACDIG

Reaction score
PrivyCheese said:
There was a "clique" if you were in....great......if not...you were an outsider. Problem with that mentality is that the only ones that will be left are the "clique" people.
I feel this also and may be a reason of less participation. I spend a lot of time to post pictures of a rare nice bottle and get maybe one feed back (from a new member) and one of the good old boys can post a pic of a common Lysol bottle and the clique can chat for 3 pages on it. [8|] Why waste the time. But I do.

glass man

Reaction score
Like with NINA..seems like birthdays are being missed for some reason...are they even still on here?I am just at the age where change seems to be getting harder and to be honest my memory is getting bad..I LOVE YOU ALL AND AS LONG AS THIS PLACE IS HERE I WILL KEEP COMING BACK!! JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
Ain't it kinda ironic that a thread bout this place being dead is one of the longest ones right now?[8D] JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac