WTF is this???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

diginit

Reaction score
Found this hole while exploring an 1890's Mormon settlement in Ca.
Most of it is covered up now. What the **** is..Or was it??? It's about the 3' x 7'. But not a typical gravesite or well. I'm LOST! Root cellar maybe? Should I dig it?
8FB1C070037441CE96FFA7D95DBC66D5.jpg

Attachments

• 8FB1C070037441CE96FFA7D95DBC66D5.jpg
    8FB1C070037441CE96FFA7D95DBC66D5.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 55

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's an 1890's Mormon foreseeing the future underground nuclear missile command center bunker. If you dig it watch for radiation. Also, keep an eye out for launch keys. I still need one.[:D]

ajohn

Reaction score
What do the nails look like that fasten the lumber together??Looks like some sort of food storage to me.Jars???????

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Either a shallow root cellar of sorts, or maybe (if you're lucky) the entrance to a deep root cellar full of bottles! Bring a shovel and see what kind of dirt you hit. If it stays loose and dark, things could get interesting.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi, My folks had a wooden box like that in back of the house for storing vegetables potatoes and heads of cabbage. They also had a box in a spare back room with a big 4'x4'x10' wooden box with dividers and using a sawdust and sand mixture they buried parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, beets and radishes between the separators. Add to that about 600 qts and pts. of canned fruits, vegetables, and sucker fish. A couple big crocks of packed side pork and smoked hams hanging from the ceiling, and some crates of potatoes and we had food for the winter. I have the grocery bills from one winter season for charged groceries and the total bill was $ 38.76 for the winter. All they bought was flour, salt, sugar, and coffee. They also had two cows and I churned saved cream every week, and made pound molded blocks of butter which they turned into the grocery for credit on their bill. We also kept about eight or ten chickens for the winter and if they didn't make eggs they went in the pot.. Things were tough because my did was without a job from 1929 to 1937. We did have raspberries, peaches. plums, pears, and grapes to sell from our little farm - that was country living personified.
I doubt if the i-phone and i-pad kids of today could do it, today. RED Matthews

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

A couple big crocks of packed side pork and smoked hams hanging from the ceiling
you're damn right Red! In my momma's shack we had possum and rat hanging from the ceilings. I'd chase them around the garbages cans with a sock full of door knobs and stove their little skulls in when they turned to attack! Sometimes I'd miss with that old sock and smash myself in the ankles with those door knobs. To this day one leg's a good three inches shorter than the other. We'd put up in jars rancid bacon fat mixed with a little axel grease we'd steal from the axels of the trains that ran not eighteen inches from our back door. We'd use this as a tasty butter substitute and it also doubled as a most excellant salve for my swollen, purple ankles. I'd limp to school sockless with a tasty bacon fat sangweech leaking through the bag and just be damned happy to be alive!
You're right these goddamned kids have it far to easy these days with their I-Pods blaring Chuck Berry as they take their non scurvy riddled bodies off to the next sock hop without a care in the world! Let them run down a rabies infested possum with ankles swole up tighter than uncle Dick's hatband! HAH!

WTF!!!?? LMAO I saw it all flash before my eyes.[:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Red and Lobey: I really enjoyed reading both of your posts.. in totally different ways! I'm glad to be a part of this wacky outfit.. [:)]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky