WTF is this???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: RED Matthews

Hi,  My folks had a wooden box like that in back of the house for storing vegetables potatoes and heads of cabbage.  They also had a box in a spare back room with a big 4'x4'x10' wooden box with dividers and using a sawdust and sand mixture they buried parsnips, carrots, rutabagas, beets and radishes between the separators.  Add to that about 600 qts and pts. of canned fruits, vegetables, and sucker fish.  A couple big  crocks of packed side pork and smoked hams hanging from the ceiling, and some crates of potatoes and we had food for the winter.  I have the grocery bills from one winter season for charged groceries and the total bill was $ 38.76 for the winter.   All they bought was flour, salt, sugar, and coffee.  They also had two cows and I churned saved cream every week, and made pound molded blocks of butter which they turned into the grocery for credit on their bill.  We also kept about eight or ten chickens for the winter and if they didn't make eggs they went in the pot..  Things were tough because my did was without a job from 1929 to 1937.  We did have raspberries, peaches. plums, pears, and grapes to sell from our little farm - that was country living personified. 
I doubt if the i-phone and i-pad kids of today could do it, today.  RED Matthews

Well said Red!!! [:D]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: lobeycat

A couple big crocks of packed side pork and smoked hams hanging from the ceiling
you're damn right Red! In my momma's shack we had possum and rat hanging from the ceilings. I'd chase them around the garbages cans with a sock full of door knobs and stove their little skulls in when they turned to attack! Sometimes I'd miss with that old sock and smash myself in the ankles with those door knobs. To this day one leg's a good three inches shorter than the other. We'd put up in jars rancid bacon fat mixed with a little axel grease we'd steal from the axels of the trains that ran not eighteen inches from our back door. We'd use this as a tasty butter substitute and it also doubled as a most excellant salve for my swollen, purple ankles. I'd limp to school sockless with a tasty bacon fat sangweech leaking through the bag and just be damned happy to be alive!
You're right these goddamned kids have it far to easy these days with their I-Pods blaring Chuck Berry as they take their non scurvy riddled bodies off to the next sock hop without a care in the world! Let them run down a rabies infested possum with ankles swole up tighter than uncle Dick's hatband! HAH!

OMG funny Lobey![:D][sm=lol.gif]

lexdigger

Reaction score
Now that was worth reading Lob! LMAO!!!
I'll bet the "city" kids didn't live like that back then... but I KNOW some country folk who live like that (almost) in this day and age! If you have the land to grown on and the wild game to kill, all you really have to buy are the essentials.

California Dream N

Reaction score
Lobey... You forgot the part about walking to school in the snowstorm..5 miles uphill...both ways..lol.. Norene

diginit

Reaction score

A couple big crocks of packed side pork and smoked hams hanging from the ceiling
you're damn right Red! In my momma's shack we had possum and rat hanging from the ceilings. I'd chase them around the garbages cans with a sock full of door knobs and stove their little skulls in when they turned to attack! Sometimes I'd miss with that old sock and smash myself in the ankles with those door knobs. To this day one leg's a good three inches shorter than the other. We'd put up in jars rancid bacon fat mixed with a little axel grease we'd steal from the axels of the trains that ran not eighteen inches from our back door. We'd use this as a tasty butter substitute and it also doubled as a most excellant salve for my swollen, purple ankles. I'd limp to school sockless with a tasty bacon fat sangweech leaking through the bag and just be damned happy to be alive!
You're right these goddamned kids have it far to easy these days with their I-Pods blaring Chuck Berry as they take their non scurvy riddled bodies off to the next sock hop without a care in the world! Let them run down a rabies infested possum with ankles swole up tighter than uncle Dick's hatband! HAH!

Opossum is greasy, Not bad though. But rats? Not much meat on them... I've eaten Rattlesnake before, It wondered into our camp looking for the rabbit I just skinned. We had BBQ'ed bunny and roasted rattler for dinner. Never had a rat for dinner though. Do they taste like chicken too?

diginit

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

It's an 1890's Mormon foreseeing the future underground nuclear missile command center bunker. If you dig it watch for radiation. Also, keep an eye out for launch keys. I still need one.[:D]

LOL. Haven't found any launch keys... Yet. You would be amazed what you can find on old Government ranges...
P.S. I did have the grenade dissarmed by a friend that was Special Ops.
I may be dumb, But I'm not stupid!

1CD4B3FA7CDA4E17BAA2AA72245B2901.jpg

Attachments

• 1CD4B3FA7CDA4E17BAA2AA72245B2901.jpg
    1CD4B3FA7CDA4E17BAA2AA72245B2901.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 67

diginit

Reaction score

Never had a rat for dinner though. Do they taste like chicken too?
No. They taste like rat, and these bad boys had some meat on them. In a fair fight they'd beat a good sized cat about half the time. Took a good couple thwacks to put them down and the sound that thwackin made would keep me awake some nights. Sounded like slapping a fat man on the belly. Brrrrr.

Oh.. Forest rats. Those suckers get BIG! They can stand upon their hind legs and bite you on the knee. Great targets for the AR-15, But I have never eaten one. Now I'm curious...Does Garlic help? Or do you soak them in salt water to kill the wild taste?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi