WWII ACL RED PAINT RATIONING ~ FACT or FICTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
According to all the charts we know about, Shouldn't this bottle not exist?

1945 amber squat 8 bubble?

With all the info that you have brought up, I am leaning towards the 'myth' also.

SODABOB

Reaction score
According to the "Charts" , they do not exist.

According to the "Bottles" , they do exist.

I believe the bottles more than I believe the charts! :rolleyes:

iggyworf

Reaction score
I just searched ebay for amber/brown 7up bottles. I located another 1945 one 1942 and one 1941. I wish I could afford them. lol

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I just looked at them, too. In fact, they helped me decide that I'm going to dig deeper into the defective aspect of the red paint and let the WWII aspect go to the wayside. I'm not sure what I'll find, if anything, but there's gotta be an explanation somewhere why the red paint wore off but not the white. Its just too common among 7up bottles for there not to be an explanation for it.

jbgoal15@gmail.com

squirtrjb
Reaction score
I have at least 11 squirt bottles from that era that are missing red pigment. They are ALL produced at OI plant 23 and all show west coast bottlers from CA, OR, WA, ID, MT & NV and are dated from 1943-1946. The squirt picture attached shows three bottles produced at the OI23 plant. The normal looking one was from 1941. I included that so that you could see that even the yellow pigment used is much more vibrant than the see through squirts. All the no red pigments are either light yellow or border to off white. Notice also that on 9 of the 11 mentioned only 2 have “squirt” on the neck area (and they are both from Bellingham, WA and date 1946) …so it seems they cut back on that as well.
And a couple of Squirt bottles ~ Both described as being from 1945 ~ One with the red paint and one without ...

(Member Squirtbob probably knows more about these than anyone, who hopefully will see this thread and share some of the dates for the Squirt bottles he has that are missing the red paint)

View attachment 174495

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp