Ye Old Knoxville Dump (Already Looted and Booted)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrcure

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this one as short as possible.

Basically, I had not been hunting big cities in Tennessee until the past 6 months or so. Recently I learned of a huge stadium project in Knoxville that was conveniently located over an old brewery and various storefronts. I knew I was about a year past the start of construction before I had even though about visiting Knoxville. But I gave it a try since google maps showed construction.

I found the site completely dug down and very actively being constructed. Hope slowly diminished. I ask a nearby construction crew member who appeared to be knowledgeable whether there had been any dumps or bottles found during the dig. He told me that a while ago, a state/local 'geologist' had gotten a hold of all bottles. Crushed hopes and dreams! Crushes like the junk bottles they probably threw in the trash.

I wonder who the lucky individual was who got to take a piece of 1800s history with them. Jealous!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Geologist usually aint to Interested in Bottles but Archeologist interested in anything old. Bummer. LEON.

mrcure

Reaction score
I have to admit I was disappointed about it but it just wasn't my time! I'm going to be more aggressive with construction sites next spring.

Since then I've successfully pinpointed one Nashville town dump but it's currently covered by buildings. Since big city exploring hasn't been fruitful, I've been on a huge local history arc to see if I can find any treasure below my feet. Found a bunch of 1850-1890s store and tavern owners locally but idk exactly where and still working to get access to any proposed site.

Ideally Im trying to get access to a local old church privy which was only 1/4 mile from the community shop/store. Hopefully grandpa threw some old bottles down in the privy during Sunday church service for me to dig up 170 years later.

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Geologist usually aint to Interested in Bottles but Archeologist interested in anything old. Bummer. LEON.
In the Toronto "Skydome" dig, I was told the archaeologists weren't interested in the old glass, but were concentrating on the remnants of the old harbour docks that were unearthed, much to the delight of the bottlers. I wonder if this "Geologist" chap was legit, or was just someone using an official-sounding pseudonym, in the hopes of gaining access.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky