Yellowish Inkwell

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Recently I received these images. This inkwell is completely new to me and I can´t find any information about it. Any idea?

Attachments

• ambar inkwell side.jpg
    ambar inkwell side.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 95
  • ambar inkwel top.jpg
    ambar inkwel top.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 84
  • ambar inkwel base.jpg
    ambar inkwel base.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 103

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a beautiful ink, was it found in South America? That may make identification tougher, I have no idea what sort of bottles South American glasshouses were putting out in the 19th century and I'm not sure they're very well researched, plus it could likely have been imported from Europe and that adds all sorts of other potential countries of origin. It's a great ink regardless though, and even without a historical attribution will have significant value I'm sure.

shotdwn

Reaction score
According to Joe Mathews book on tea kettle inks your ink was probably made in England. Dates between 1840 to 1860. Estimated value $400 to $700. Amber being the most common color so probably on the low side of that. But like anything collectible it could go higher or lower. Nice ink anyway.

Reaction score
According to Joe Mathews book on tea kettle inks your ink was probably made in England. Dates between 1840 to 1860. Estimated value $400 to $700. Amber being the most common color so probably on the low side of that. But like anything collectible it could go higher or lower. Nice ink anyway.
It might has been made in England and date to those years and the value could start on those numbers.

Reaction score
That's a beautiful ink, was it found in South America? That may make identification tougher, I have no idea what sort of bottles South American glasshouses were putting out in the 19th century and I'm not sure they're very well researched, plus it could likely have been imported from Europe and that adds all sorts of other potential countries of origin. It's a great ink regardless though, and even without a historical attribution will have significant value I'm sure.
It was found in Paraguay, South America. By the 19th century glass houses were rare. In Argentina the first start in 1882 and it was the only one in the country untill late 19th century. Before that all bottles were imported from Europe and
from the States also.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky