"Zapped" bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Over the weekend I saw a 'Rare Purple Coke' up for auction. This was not a straight sided bottle, rather one of the clear hobbleskirt produced in the 60s/70s - There was 7 bids on it - forgot what the $ was, but it was an obvious 'zapped' bottle[:mad:]

BARQS19

Reaction score
Interesting. Was there some way some of these bottles could actually turn these colors without the help of a device? I met a guy at the Las Vegas bottle show back in Feb. who collected nothing but colored contour Coca Cola bottles. Thought it was interesting though.

BARQS19

Reaction score
Norm, what was the item # for that bottle or do you remember? I saw a 1915 purple bottle on there but not the one you're talking about.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I don't believe it was eBay, it was another site selling coke products. I was doing a search for the coke Soda Water bottle I picked up last weekend, and happened across the page in question. I haven't found it again yet, but will let you know when I do. Coke bottles DO NOT naturally turn to deep purple![8|] They have to be 'zapped' to attain that look. Even the 1915 hobbleskirt you refer to has been zapped. There's a lot of informative coke sites that tell buyers to beware of these bottles.[;)]

BARQS19

Reaction score
I did not know that. I will keep that in mind from now on. No more purple Coke bottles. How would you know (and have you ever seen it) if someone got a clear/aqua SS coke bottle and turned it amber? How could you tell the difference between a real amber SS coke and a "zapped" SS amber coke? I have seen a amber Dr. Pepper Thief bottle before. I've also seen a purple Dr. Pepper thief bottle as well. I knew those two were made up.

strataman4

Reaction score
Hello All,

I had a question about turning bottles artificially to amethyst color. Does anyone know if the UV light is short wavelength or long wavelength? I know this makes a huge difference in making a flourescent rock such as calcite to glow. I work in a microbiology laboratory and we have a UV light and wanted to try it sometime with a bottle. Also would you say it would take minutes or hours under artificial UV to make the bottle turn amethyst? I am just being the curious scientist :)

Thanks,

Strataman

IRISH

Reaction score
G'day strataman4, welcome to the forum.
I really don't know but I suspect both would do the job, may be an interesting experiment to find out [:D] .

LaidBackJack

Reaction score
There's no qualitative difference between using the sun, or a UV lamp, except the time involved. The sun can take years, a lamp takes a week or two. I routinely "zap" common bottles, in lots, because I noticed that they sell better at my yard sales & flea markets. Basically it turns $1 bottles into $2 bottles (or more) when you're dealing with the non-collector general public. I don't zap the goodies, unless I'm going to keep them, because I prefer color to clear for my displayed bottles. There's an infinite variety of shades of amethyst, and it's just fun to see what shade a particular bottle will turn. There is also, apparently, a technique which will turn some old clear glass a rose color. It involves placing the item inside a nuclear reactor & exposing it to gamma rays, according to my informant. Of course, how many people have access to a nuclear reactor? but I've seen the supposed results, and it's very beautiful, but of course any really rose-colored old glass is going to be rare as hen's teeth & automatically suspect if it represented a one-of-a-kind situation. The same guy showed me how to reverse the process, by simply putting the item in an oven & slowly heating it to 400* or so. This will return an artificially rose-tinted glass object to clear glass. As far as I know, sun tinted amethyst glass is irreversible. Problem is, if you did have a rose-colored bottle, would you want to risk sticking it in an oven to find out if it was fake?

dpbottleman

Reaction score
About 10-12 months ago, someone from the Georgia/Alabama area was zapping th 30-40's clear Dr Pepper bottles, and turning them amber and selling them for a couple of hundres of dollars, this was a ripoff. Dr Pepper never had amber bottles of any kind.

GlassWorx

Reaction score
I don't understand why people are upset by this? There's really no difference except in depth of the coloring. I sell heavy on ebay, though I don't colorize my old bottles, (I have a few in direct sun) This takes a time and patience. Bottles "zapped" by food plants are hit with a little more than UVA, I believe there's some gamma involved as their aim is to destroy e-coli, botulism and salmonella (which kills between 800-4200 people a year in the USA depending on who you listen to) I like the lighter tints, as the deep zapped ones just look like fakes to me. Like Wheatons Gone Wild or something.Between the years of 1880-1915, the majority of <i>clear</i> bottles<br>were made that way by the addition of manganese<br> (primarily, but sometimes mixed with or supplanted by selenium, depending on supply)<br>into the original glass batch.<br>The manganese in the glass turns <font color=purple><b>purple</b></font> when long term exposure to UVA oxidizes its ions.<br>When the manganese is added to the original glass batch, the 2000-2500F temperature pushes the ions into a reduced state.<br>Now <i>clear</i> glass isn't really clear either.<br>It's actually a balance of colors canceling each other out.<br>A normal batch of 1800's glass, would usually run the gamut of colors from blue to green,<br>due to iron and other impurities in the glass.<br>The manganese would <i>cancel this out</i> by throwing yellow, red and amethyst/purple into the mix.<br>It's not really clear glass, it just looks like it to human eyes.<br>It's interesting to note a lot of other mammals wouldn't see a clear bottle as clear.<br>This is also why some digital cameras <br>pick up an off colored tint in clear glass, when the light is right.<br>In 1915 the manganese supply to the good old USA was sort of TFU'd by World War One<br>as we got most of it from the Kaiser's home country of Germany.<br>Pretty much after that it was all selenium, until the 1930's<br> when it was discovered that it was even more cost effective to use straight arsenic<br>(not too mention more tasty, especially in those soda and food bottles)<br>Selenium changes for the same reasons, to yellows, browns and some neat off tints.<br>In closing, I'll tell you this last bit of interesting info.<br>If you slowly reheated a sun-colored bottle to around 1000 degrees, it would take the color right back out of it.<br>That's something I try not to do however.<br>I only have one bottle that ever gets close to flames, and it's protected by a thick coating of resin<br>(I mean axle-grease)<p>Rob Mooers, GlassWorx - Sanford, Maine

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky