Bottle Question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
This is another person's bottle. She says that there is no horizontal seam around the base, yet the seams do not go over the bottom of the bottle. They continue up to the top.

What we want to know is:

What type of machine made this bottle?
How old is it?

hfB8tPLbTvdrFeMkFJp9tg.jpg
ZXsBZ6da6t62u9ee6Ty3-Q.jpg
PRGArzvycytzXz90b8yKXg.jpg
6VNy0QGDRSpQ4ktVmXBf.w.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I believe it's made with a very early and crude automatic machine, probably not a genuine Owens machine but something based off that idea. It probably wasn't made in North America, my guess is somewhere in Europe, though it could have been anywhere. I'm pretty sure there actually is a seam of some sort around the base. I think I can see a suction scar in the lower right corner. I don't know much about how bottles are made but it looks to me like it was still a bit gloppy when they took it out of the mold and that's why the seams look so strange.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I believe it is U.K. by the ring on the base, they made sloppy bottles up until the 1930s, I have several cure bottles dating 1920s that look like they were made in the 1860s, except for seam lines........Andy

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Looks like a scotch whiskey bottle to me. Cup-bottom or post-bottom mold seams around the base are something you might look for on an earlier bottle. This one is probably WWI era or later.

Bottle machines were around long before Owens patented his machine. Owens just designed one that was superior. This whiskey bottle doen't have the distinctive valve mark from an Owens machine. We just can't say if it was made in a late evolution of an Owens machine or in some Scottish adaptation of such a machine.

Here's how they were making bottles in Scotland at the Alloa Glass Works in 1950. This manufacturing process is probably not much different from that of earlier in the century. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DVSaanSlAI

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey