HIRES ROOT BEER ~ vs ~ VERNOR'S GINGER ALE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
I recently purchased one of these Philadelphia Centennial CDs on eBay for a total of $18.48. Notice by scrolling to the bottom where it says Hires Root Beer was one of the products introduced at the Centennial. But whether that reference is actually published in one of the catalogs contained in the CD or just part of the seller's description, I do not know yet. I will post what it contains after it arrives in about a week ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1876-Centen...346951?hash=item2ebb44d8c7:g:pP4AAOSwFdtXztPk

View attachment 176379

In the meantime, here's a Charles Hires vanilla bean business card that's on eBay for $60.00. Exact date unknown but described as circa 1870s. (I do not intend to purchase it).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scare-Busin...586633?hash=item56679dddc9:g:CQwAAOSwFL9Tvasg

View attachment 176380

That's a very interesting thing to find Bob. Strangely on ebay also. I hope it contains some good info.

By the way, do you ever paint any bottles in your paintings?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich / iggy

Yeah, I can't wait to see what the CD contains. Hopefully something definitive. But I'm not going to hold my breath that it connects Hires Root Beer to the 1876 Centennial. We'll know in about a week.

As for my ever including a bottle in one of my oil paintings; several years ago I did a shadowbox type of thing where I inserted an old Coca Cola hobbleskirt into the wood and then painted around it to make it look as if the bottle had been discarded and laying on the shoulder of a country road. The bottle was in the foreground and the road disappeared into the sunset in the background. I even painted a 'S-curve' road sign on it as well as a rattlesnake winding its way across the road. The finished product was really cool but I have only done one like it, and that was about twenty years ago. Unfortunately I never took a photo of it and the person who bought it is lost to memory.

Here's a photo of the oak tree I'm currently painting a picture of. Its a Live Oak that is common throughout southern California. The exception being that this particular tree is extremely old (300+ years) which is evident because the main branches grow all the way to the ground and then cure skyward. Its growing a few miles from where I live and the area surrounding it is kind of spooky and enchanting - which I hope to capture in my painting. I'll post a picture of the painting when its done, which will probably take me at least a month or more.

Oak Tree Pacific Crest Trail December 2016.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I received the CD I purchased on eBay but so far have been unable to find a listing for Hires Root Beer. The CD contains several catalogs related to the 1876 Centennial with a total of about 2,000 individual pages, which includes illustrations, maps, advertisements, indexes, etc. So at the moment I don't know if the seller was just assuming there was a Hires listing or if there is one that I just haven't been able to find yet. I contacted the seller to see if he can assist me and will post what he has to say just as soon as I hear back from him.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just heard from the eBay seller and here's his copy/pasted reply ...

"Sorry for any confusion, but the ad does not indicate a Hires ad is included on the CD. Details of CD contents show the titles and chapters of the 5 volumes on the CD. The BOLD text that follows that is a brief overview of the 1876 exposition, and names 6 new consumer products introduced there. For Hires ads, Google vintage Hires Root Beer Ads. Then select Images at the top of the screen. Also go to wikipedia.org and search for Hires Root Beer."

"Happy Holidays."

It appears that what he's saying is that his reference to Hires is generic and that he got it from Wikipedia or a similar site, thus his assumption that Hires Root Beer was connected with the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial. I'm not surprised by that and can only say that it adds to my suspicions that Hires Root Beer's presence at the 1876 Centennial might very well be a myth.

(To be continued)

iggyworf

Reaction score
That's too bad. I was hoping you would find out some good info. I'm sure there is lot's of good info on it but not what you were looking for.

SODABOB

Reaction score
After explaining my inability to find a solid connection between Hires Root Beer and the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial, the eBay seller had this to say ...

"I will remain alert for any additional information on this."

Which is the same position I'm taking and will post additional information if and when I find any. I invite everyone who reads this to do the same and hopefully one of these days we'll know for certain whether or not Hires Root Beer was in any way involved with the 1876 Centennial. As it stands now, I don't think it was. But just when and who might have initiated this possible myth, I don't know other than to say that I suspect it occurred sometime after Charles Hires' death in 1937.

(To be continued)

SODABOB

Reaction score
Ironically, I think the same might be true about Vernor's Ginger Ale being introduced in 1866. And by that I mean; I believe there is a strong possibility the 1866 date is also a myth that was initiated by someone after James Vernor's death in 1927. In both cases, Vernor's and Hires', my findings suggest it might have been the sons, James Vernor Jr. and Charles Hires Jr., who might have been the individuals who started the myths as legacies to their fathers. Perhaps someday we'll know for certain. In the meantime, it remains a big ...

Question Mark.png

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last but not least ...

I honestly believe the original trademark documents tell the real truth despite what the numerous histories claim ...

Hires Root Beer

"Since about August 1, 1877"

Hires 1906 Original Trademark Document Page Two (2).jpg

Hires 1906 Original Trademark Document Page Two.jpg

Vernor's Ginger Ale

"Since about January 1st, 1880"

Vernor's Original 1911 Trademark Document (2).jpg

Vernor's Original 1911 Trademark Document (5).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Christmas Special ...

If anyone is interested in purchasing one or more of the ACL Soda Bottle Books from me, they are currently available for $40.00 each until December 31, 2016. After that date they go back to $60.00 each. Free shipping is included providing the postage does not exceed $10.00

If you order now, the book(s) should arrive before Christmas.

Note: I'm going out of town for Christmas and leaving on December 22nd and returning on the 27th. If you want one of the books delivered in time for Christmas, please let me know A.S.A.P. I only have about a dozen copies available and once they are gone I will probably not be getting any more of them. If you are interested, please take advantage of this offer now as this might be your last chance to acquire one of the books at an affordable price. Please PM me if interested.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis