Amber threaded bottle stopper

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CheetoBandito

Reaction score
does anyone know what a bottle would have a stopper like this, threaded? I found this on Long Island, ny near New York city. any suggestions are appreciated.
1000003424.jpg

Sitcoms

Reaction score
does anyone know what a bottle would have a stopper like this, threaded? I found this on Long Island, ny near New York city. any suggestions are appreciated.
I'm no expert, but I went digging (no pun intended) for information and came across the Society for Historical Archaeology (SHA)'s page on closure types (https://sha.org/bottle/closures.htm#Glass).

They have a section on threaded glass stoppers, but don't go on to say a timeframe when they were produced - just that two examples were patented in the 1860s and 1870s. They seem to be pretty rare as they were often a bit hard to remove/reinsert into the bottle, so they weren't all that popular. Their page mentions that this type of closure is rarely on U.S. bottles, and more likely came from a European liquor (whiskey, etc.).

I think there's also a chance yours is a later (early 1900s) cork & glass stopper that has long lost its cork exterior. Some glass/cork stoppers were threaded to make it more likely the cork would come out with the stopper rather than remaining embedded.

CheetoBandito

Reaction score
thank you. I saw that article too, it seems that there won't be much more I can find out. thanks for taking the time to respond, it is appreciated.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen