Looking for info on this Domestic Specialty Co. Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Noellet

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m new but learning as I go. I haven’t found much information on Domestic Specialty Co. Hamilton, ONT, the maker of this bottle. Any clues on the company? Are they a glass maker or contents maker? The seam doesn’t go over the lip so it may be pre1900. Hamilton is referring to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

FYI I’m digging up bottles in my backyard. Im guessing the timeline for them would be between 1897 (when the house was built) and 1913 (when trash pick-up started). Im in Southwestern Ontario Canada.

Attachments

• IMG_2834.jpeg
    IMG_2834.jpeg
    284.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2835.jpeg
    IMG_2835.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2836.jpeg
    IMG_2836.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2837.jpeg
    IMG_2837.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 72

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It looks like a shoe/stove polish bottle to me. I've never heard of that company before, but there were a lot of companies making polish and the bottles are generally somewhat overlooked by collectors. Large embossing like that is almost always going to be the name of the product rather than the glassmaker when it's on this sort of bottle. In general it's pretty unusual to see the glassmaker's name embossed on the side of the bottle unless you're talking about fruit jars.

Noellet

Reaction score
It looks like a shoe/stove polish bottle to me. I've never heard of that company before, but there were a lot of companies making polish and the bottles are generally somewhat overlooked by collectors. Large embossing like that is almost always going to be the name of the product rather than the glassmaker when it's on this sort of bottle. In general it's pretty unusual to see the glassmaker's name embossed on the side of the bottle unless you're talking about fruit jars.
Thank you so much. That is really helpful. Shoe polish does fit as the only thing I found about them is that they were given the contract Tom make boot blacking during WWI. They were showing it in a tin but just now I did a search and added shoe polish and came up with a very similar bottle with a label and a box.

I know these types of bottles aren’t that sought after but I love the social history that goes with food and household bottles. Especially knowing it was used by the first family that owned our house. Thanks again. I’m learning so much!

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Looks like CanadianBottles was right, they made shoe polish and other shoe related adhesives. Here's a link to an ad from 1898, where they proclaim that they are "The largest cement and blacking makers in Canada":

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen