New Member needs help with a pop bottle!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Dylan,

Look HERE.
bigchief5.jpg

mattinad

Reaction score
WOW! That is awesome. I seem to have the Second: Big Chief. Aqua embossed. Dec 29 1925. Ottawa Kansas, although mne is definitely clear and not aqua.

Does this being full and capped add to its value? What would it be worth filled and unfilled?

My 13 year-old wants to know if would still be ok to drink the pop inside... 9-)

-Dylan

AAF4FFC76C964C58A0D60563B4BC5388.jpg

Attachments

• AAF4FFC76C964C58A0D60563B4BC5388.jpg
    AAF4FFC76C964C58A0D60563B4BC5388.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 69

epackage

Reaction score
DO NOT let him/her DRINK IT !! and being full has no real difference on any value.....Jim

splante

Reaction score
agreed not much value diff between full or not, I would keep that cap however, maybe very gently remove cap enough to remove contents then recap
looks empty in the picture?

bottleopop

Reaction score
I recommend pouring out the contents. They detract from the sparkling look of the embossing by reducing the refractive index effects. Also a lemon-based liquid might have natural or added acids in it that would tend to gradually haze the inside of the bottle. You know, make it look like it needs a bit of cleaning. [:D]

I would not recommend drinking it. It's doubtful it would make you really sick, but it could. It would probably taste really stupid anyway. The various chemicals in the liquid, either natural or not, would be gradually breaking down into smaller, smelly molecules. Light, especially sunlight, will do that. The smaller molecules could include methanol, methane, ketones, and probably a few creepy hydrocarbon compounds with sulfur or nitrogen in them. It's mostly water of course, but who needs to taste broken and ruined flavor molecules.

The main thing about this bottle is that it has its own cap, and it's a nice looking one. There's a few indian bottles similar to that for auction about every week but none of them have a cap. So, if you're interested in sell-value instead of keeping it, I'd estimate that the cap could make the bottle worth up to double, but the liquid would detract from the interest in buying it. Shipping cost is often a disappointment. As I said, the liquid could be degrading it anyway, so I recommend taking the cap off and pouring the liquid out and putting the cap on. If you don't have a bottle capper, don't try too hard to put it back on if you're selling it - let the buyer put it back on.

I don't know if there's a technique to getting a crowncap off carefully but I imagine there are experts who can tell you how to do it. I'd consider using a stiff piece of plastic maybe on top of a piece of soft paper on the top so that the bottle opener won't dent into the center of the cap too much.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles