Dawson & Blackman Cobalt Mug Base IP Soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Here's another tough guy to find. I was fortunate enough this year to obtain this Dawson & Blackman mug base iron pontiled soda from Charleston S.C. and add it to my colored collection. I had to wait quite awhile to even get one of these, as they are seldom offered for sale.

All the best,
~Tim

000_3731.jpg

DB.jpg

Lordbud

Reaction score
Beautiful deep royal blue color on this soda -- and amazingly the surface of the glass is in very good condition and looks untumbled. Now that's real "mint" condition![:-]

LC

Reaction score
That's a super nice bottle , first squat I have seen with a mug base , and a dandy at that .

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Tim,

New Year's Eve helloes. Really great acquisition!

I went looking for further information and found some stuff.
21001.gif
"Union Glass Works, (1847-1857),
Philadelphia, PA, United States, Occurs on 154 Bottles,
Manufactured soda and beer bottles. William Hartell & J. Lancaster reopened the Union Glass Works, on the Delaware River and in the Kensington section of Philadelphia, in 1847 and operated the factory there until Hartell's death in 1857. Thomas Hartell joined the firm in 1850. The works were closed and Thomas Hartell partnered with John Letchworth in the firm of Hartell & Letchworth in 1858 with a factory located at 24th and George Street, near the Schuylkill River. The markings are on the reverse side of the bottle or on the reverse heel." Thanks Tod.

50814aa.gif
50814aar.gif
"Bottle 50814AA - Dawson & Blackman

Embossed: () DAWSON & BLACKMAN / CHARLESTON, S.C. (all in plate) // () UNION GLASS WORKS PHIL.A / () SUPERIOR / () MINERAL-WATER //
Dimensions: 7 1/2 x 2 1/2
Manufacturer: Marked - Hartell & Lancaster
Material: Glass Design: None Mold Type: Two Leaf Mold
Form: Cylindrical Edge Design: None Plate Mold: Yes
Shape: Soda Base Design: Sides-10 sides Plate Code: MS01A
Sides: Shoulder Design: None Sealed: No
Sunken Panels: None" Thanks again, Tod.

The earliest listing I found for them was in the 1849 Charleston Directory. They were listed as, "Dawson & Blackman, Druggists, 17 Broad St., Joseph Dawson, Joseph Blackman" From. Broad Street was the shop location.

In the 1852 Directory, Joseph Blackman was listed as, "Blackman, Joseph druggist 17 Broad, 22 Beaufain
'' James clerk railroad, 22 Beaufain

Mrs S, 22 Beaufain " From.

Dawsons listed in the 1852 Directory are,

"Dawson,
" F clerk post office, 25 anson st
" J com mer 94 and 96 east-bay, 25 anson st
" & Blackman druggist 17 broad st
" Joseph druggist 17 broad st, 25 anson st" Also From.

I couldn't find either listed in the Charleston Voter Records of 1877.

The most compelling tidbit was found in Confederate Papers Relating to Citizens or Business Firms. On page 16, it lists,

"Dawson & Blackman Charleston, S. C. Chemists and apothecaries; furnished medical supplies, 1861-62"

Did they perish in the bombardment of Charleston in 1863?

rosie_the_riveter.jpg

chucktown

Reaction score
After recently finding one of these in Charleston, researched and found this online chat. What is the value of one of these bottles?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler