Dawson & Blackman Cobalt Mug Base IP Soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chucktown

Reaction score
New to all of this, so still researching my find tonight. What is the difference of the Dawson and Blackman cobalt blue bottle w/ words Union Glassworks Philad on it vs. the one that was in this auction listed on the following website:
http://blog.auctionzip.com/2010_06_01_archive.html that has W& M Shasta on it, but the same look as the one I have found and the one that is in this online chat forum?
I am not a bottle collector, so I am excited to learn. Bottle is in great condition, but seems it would probably need to be tumbled, according to articles online.

Jim

Reaction score
Great bottle, Tim. It's always nice to find one that you have been looking for.

Chucktown, Union Glass Works made bottles for many different bottlers. The W & B Shasta is a very rare bottle from California. Some of the early bottlers on the west coast had their bottles made and shipped in from the east. The Dawson & Blackman is also a very desirable bottle.

15 grand is a very high price for an early soda. It's all in who wants it, how badly and how intense the bidding gets. My local iron pontil soda from my town cost me just under $800, and I was happy to be able to get it for that. It is extremely rare, with maybe six or seven examples known. Some of the more common ones from big cities like Philly or St. Louis can be had for less than 50 bucks, but they're still great-looking bottles with a lot of history. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, you have ones like that W&B that can go to five-digit money with the right hungry collectors after them.

I love the early pontiled soda bottles. I wish my town would have had more than just one, but I'm glad to have that one, anyway. Congrats on finding your Dawson & Blackman, and I hope I was of some help to you. ~Jim

chucktown

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of your replies. Thank you Jim and Road Dog for describing to me more in depth about this bottle vs. the other one in the link I provided. Before I do anything with my bottle, what is the best thing to do to clean it? It sounds like to me, that some people suggest tumbling and others don't. I don't want to mess it up. It doesn't have any lip chip marks at the top of the bottle, but does have tough, white scaly mineral deposits, but no rust.

Jim

Reaction score
Heavy mineral scale will require tumbling to remove. There are professionals who can make even the nastiest stained bottle look good. It would probably cost around 20-30 bucks plus shipping, but I think it would be well worth it. I know if I ever found one of my early local sodas like that, I would definitely have it tumbled.

There is a great guy here on the forum named Ryan (bottlediger) who does nice tumbling work. He's an Army guy with a busy schedule, so I'm not sure if he is taking orders for tumbling work right now. If not, he will be here to let us know when he is.

If done correctly, a good tumbler cleaning can greatly enhance the appearance and value of a bottle. ~Jim

chucktown

Reaction score
Hey Jim, do you know how I can get in touch with someone who tumbles bottles in Charleston, SC? I know you mentioned the Ryan guy on here previously. Is he near Charleston or do you have to ship your bottle?

Jim

Reaction score
I don't know of anyone in SC, but I'm sure there is someone around there who does tumbling. Ryan lives in York, PA. He hasn't been on the forum much, so he is probably busy with his Army duties. We have some Southern collectors on here, so hopefully one of them can recommend someone for you. ~Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75