Torpedo bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

farmgal

Reaction score
Seeing I don't know much about bottles I would like to know what these bottles were used for...or what came in them...Very cool shape. Farmgal

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: farmgal

Seeing I don't know much about bottles I would like to know what these bottles were used for...or what came in them...Very cool shape. Farmgal
The round bottoms held Ginger Ale alot of the time and the story is they used round bottoms so that once open you had to drink the whole bottle because setting it down would drain it...is it true, I don't know, but sounds plausible...

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi all, My understanding is that both the torpedo bottles and the round bottom bottles had metal racks to hold them while drinking the contents. I have seen some of them and some even had a handle on them. RED Matthews.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I heard the bottoms were round so they had to be stored on their side, to keep the cork from drying out so they'd hold their carbonation. There's probably a few reasons for their design, just one reason for a certain design isn't usually enough.

farmgal

Reaction score
Wish all soda still came in glass bottles....I get so sick of knocking over the damn plastic soda bottles once the soda is drank. Just a little touch and they fall on the floor...GRRR!! Farmgal

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well farmgal I am scared nearly to death because of the use of plastic for bottles that contain any element materials that can dissolve the melamine from the plastic, that can kill us like it did with the plastic containers that were ground up in China and added to a lot of animal and fish food for net raised fish we eat. This ground plastic killed thousands of cats and dogs in the northwest Canada and US animals, a few yeas ago. It also caused a few thousand babies to have problems in China from the melamine added to cow food that came out in the milk. China also has thousands of people with problems from the melamine in egg yokes from chickens given the food. So I too feel that soda and beer should not be in plastic - it taste better and colder when taken from a cold glass bottle.
There - you pulled my chain so I barked !!! RED Matthews

farmgal

Reaction score
LMAO Red don't bark to loud you will get all my dogs howling and barking!!! Ya know we have to recycle all are plastic here no deposits like other states and the recycle container doesn't even include glass containers like it once did...veryweird...farmgal

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I heard the bottoms were round so they had to be stored on their side, to keep the cork from drying out so they'd hold their carbonation. There's probably a few reasons for their design, just one reason for a certain design isn't usually enough.

This is what I have always thought too Charlie!

RED ...there was nothing like getting a very cold coke in a bottle as a kid on a hot summer's day!JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese