Torpedo Bottle Embossed "KB"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hladnopivo

Reaction score
I've been finding a bunch of Kilner Brothers bottles in the ash pit here in New York, some labeled and some smooth. This one torpedo bottle has the mark "KB" embossed on the body.

This is different than this round-bottom bottle that was mentioned in this old thread ( 'Torpedo Bottle'
https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/torpedo-bottle.29743/)
, because this is actually a torpedo bottle, an "egg-shaped" pointed-bottomed hand-blown bottle made in a two-piece mould, with a tooled blob finish.

I'm trying to date this bottle. Now, the Society for Historical Archaeology website claims that they haven't seen any bottle embossed "KB" without the "limited" designation, and they only list KB as appearing in conjunction with the initials of one of their plants... T for Thornhill Lees or C for Conisbrough. I suspect that some users here probably have seen bottles with just "KB"!
I'm thinking that this bottle is from between 1870 and about 1905. Any ideas?

IMG_3441.jpegIMG_3446.jpegIMG_3447.jpeg

arden

Reaction score
Good day. After trying to make out the embossed letters/numbers, I see something a bit different than "KB". It looks as though they didn't do thier best job w carving out the embossed letters during the molding process. I see what looks to be a faint letter after the K. To me from what I can see in this photo it looks like it could be a j but it's really hard to make out. The other questionable aspect is your letter "B" looks to have seams which turns it from a B into an S or maybe 5. All I can tell u is to try get the best view of it again. Play w it in the light until u see the best possible version of the embossing. If u still can't distinguish exactly what it says try different combinations of whatever letter or numbers u think u might have seen. Wish I could be of more help. I love the Hamilton torpedos!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen