Diving for bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
After reading a few post threads, I've learned that some bottle hunters find bottles under water. I live close to Harper's Ferry, WV and Brunswick, MD. These two towns were ravaged by the Civil War and huge floods in past decades. Also, Brunswick's old RR Junction is right on the Potomac River. I believe there may be some artifacts left from those days, so I'm really interested in this. I need to know what type of equipment is used for diving and what the costs are (I don't think it's cheap $$$$$). Pics are always appreciated of the equipment and action shots! D.U.B

RCO

Reaction score
you need to be good at swimming to find bottles underwater , its not as easy as it sounds . alot of the bottles i find are actually very tough to see underwater or at least you can't always tell there good bottles . i recently found a coca cola bottle but when it was underwater all i could tell as it was a covered up bottle , and other times its only small portions of the bottle that is visible like neck or bottom . but i don't dive in deep areas just near docks and parks where its no more than 10 feet deep , those are where i've been having the most luck finding older soda bottles anyways .

there might also be items to find along the shoreline in areas that you can walk along .

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
I'm a pretty good swimmer, but until I get the knack of seeing the bottles underwater, I'll stay relatively close to the shore. Also, the river isn't that deep where I'm at (8 ft. at most), but I want to stay away from the currents. Thanks RCO.

Potlidboy

Reaction score
As you learn to dive for bottles you will find several rules that will keep you alive.

Never dive in a current you can't swim against....Swift water will push you under an obstruction... The then constricted water intensifies because it too is being constricted and can hold you in place (trapped).

Always take a compass shot before you enter...Often the swirling currents run against themselves making direction mind boggleing...The compass when used properly will never lie...You know to get it away from metal..an arms length from your tank or rise in the water to get it away from metal on the bottom..

Use SCUBA instead of a hooka...being free of a tethering air hose is a must

Always carry a knife or carbide scissors...preferably in your wet suit on your chest...put it over you heart...never in different places...you want in a panic situation to always know where they are.

aluminum 80's are a great choice for diving...depending on your level of comfort & depth (30 feet) will give you ample bottom time

If you are diving around boats always use a diver's flag & then don't count on boaters on knowing what it is...

Remember the bottom of a lake or river has been the dumping ground for hundreds of years...beware of pesticides, abandoned cars, miles of fish line...theres more... be careful.

Wear gloves (dive gear is expensive)...Heavy work gloves work well in not too cold water.

Knee pads will save you from buying many new wet suits .... like athletic knee pads not the ones sewn into the wet suit. Wear one over the other.

These are a few things to help....good luck & be careful...nothing you have the potential of finding is worth your life.

Experience......get wet every chance you can..be familiar with your gear.

These are but a few helpful hints.

RCO

Reaction score
its true there is abandoned cars out there , on the news it was reported that someone found a 1970's ford pinto in a river near wasaga beach , Ontario . not sure if it was found when swimming or if lower water levels revealed it .

Trina Berlo, Staff
|
Aug 02, 2012 - 12:52 PM
|

Exhumed from watery grave

Lost in time. A mystery vehicle was dug out of the water early this morning at Beach Area One.

WASAGA BEACH – A vehicle was dug out of the silt and sand at Beach Area One in Wasaga Beach early this morning after spending possibly more than three decades underwater.
The vehicle, which may be a blue 1971 Ford Pinto but has not been officially identified, was reported to police on Monday after the Town of Wasaga Beach’s river maintenance crew discovered the obstruction.

http://www.simcoe.com/news/article/1439485--exhumed-from-watery-grave

botlguy

Reaction score
We have a D-9 Cat underwater here in Coeur d' Alene Lake right off I-90. They lost it during construction of the highway. The divers here like to go see it, nothing real special I guess but interesting anyway.

riverdiver

Reaction score
Depending where you go for your certification you can expect to pay $375-700.00 just for the initial O/W* certification. Besides the gear, river diving, blackwater and salvage are all specialties that you get after your second cert (ADV O/W). you can buy cheap gear and risk your life or buy the best and live to tell tall tales of your daring do...I agree with the other posters on here, no artifact is worth your life...Take the classes, go slow, earn your bottom time and have an experienced partner. As you get experience you will learn what works for you in your area. A full set of quality gear should run you about $2,000.00 so without even taking advanced classes into the equation you are looking at $3,000.00 give or take to get started.

Good luck and dont push too hard to find stuff until you have some bottom time under your belt, many things can and will go wrong.

*O/W = Open water

RCO

Reaction score
found an older coca cola bottle when out for a swim last night in same location in gravenhurst , ontario . they can be hard to find underwater which is why i though i'd share this one . when i found this bottle i could only see maybe 10 % of the bottle when underwater , it was mostly covered in sand and only a small amount visible that i saw when i happened to swim rate near it . its a good find too , 1941 canada bottle , cleaned up has some condition issues but still ok . so there is alot of bottles to be found in shallow areas you just have to know where to look and how to spot them when your there .

3413DA51CB0D465886B78F5EB1CA2B94.jpg

Attachments

• 3413DA51CB0D465886B78F5EB1CA2B94.jpg
    3413DA51CB0D465886B78F5EB1CA2B94.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 70

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member