Diving for bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

druggistnut

Reaction score
>you can expect to pay $375-700.00 just for the initial O/W* >

I distinctly remember what my class and open water cost, back in 1975.
Spud Schultz (long deceased) owned Underwater Outfitters, in Union Lake, Michigan.
I was NAUI certified for the grand total of $75.00
I think I had a couple hundred in to my gear, at that time. A good set of fins I recently bought, ran just over $100.00

When you're under water, every little difficulty is compounded. I recently got wrapped up in a long nylon boat line, hanging off a breakwall. It got around my tank, my BC, etc...
The simplest things can kill you, and it happens way too often. You have to remain calm, breath first and foremost, and let your buddy (don't dive alone) know you have a problem. You must have prearranged signals (like banging on your tank with your knife) and practice them.
Good luck.
Bill

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Dub,
People are generally giving you good advice but I must stress the training first. You have to get proper training - period. It will teach you what to expect and what to do if and when things go wrong. Mainly, you should never panic and with proper training you won't. Get PADI certified, read the book, attend classes, learn the skills in the pool, soak up every bit of knowledge you can. More later...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Okay. I'm back. Did I mention that you should get PADI certified? It's worth it. The classes are fun. The book is a great read. It explains the science in simple and common sense terms. It has step by step instructions on how to learn the skills with pictures. After certification, learning the ropes on how to find bottles will take time and patience. Good gear is important and your dive shop can help you with that. I think getting some experience with gear will give you a feel for what you like. For example, I would never get a BC without integral weights. Gear will be less expensive used but again you will need experience to know what you prefer. I'm happy to help anytime with other questions, concerns...

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
BTW I was diving today. I can tell you that bottles can be found underwater but you need the proper training. We got some medicines, some beers and sodas, and a decent milk today.

Digging Up Bottles

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm sure I speak for everyone who wants to dive that this info will really help. Also, congrats on the finds bob and RCO.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75