Unusual Marble Found in a Cistern today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bloodj2

Reaction score
Can anybody give me any info about this marble? It appears to be painted clay. Any info about the age, manufacturer, or value would be greatly appreciated.

2012-11-04.jpg

2012-11-04.jpg

idigjars

Reaction score
Is the marble large or about what size is it? Condition & size are everything with marbles and since your marble has some damage it would be hard to put a value on it. This marble is called an indian and it was handmade.

Since the design was pretty much on the surface (see your white chipped area) if you tried to polish it the design would probably polish away. It's a nice marble no matter what though. Congrats on your find. Paul

Ps - it is made of glass not clay.

bloodj2

Reaction score
Hi idigjars! Thanks for the information about the marble. I appreciate the warning on the surface design. It's small, less than an inch in diameter. The material didn't feel like the other glass marbles I found, I guess that's why I thought it was clay.

Thanks again,

John

Road Dog

Reaction score
Vast majority of these types were 3/4" or less in size. If you get one approaching 1" or more they are conciderably harder to find. Can you shine a light thru it? Some that appear to be black are actually very dark transparent glass. These are harder to find. Collectors call them Maglite Indians.

idigjars

Reaction score
Hey Rory, thanks for that mag light info! I'm relatively a newbie also. Best regards. Paul :)

bloodj2

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thanks again for the info. I held an LED flashlight (very bright) up to it and it's not a mag-light marble :(

Oh well, it's still pretty neat. Also, It's not approaching an inch, it's in the range of probably half to 3/4 inch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis