ID on a clay/ceramic marble

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

john cheney

Reaction score
I already posted pics of this marble in a digging forum topic, but I wanted to ask about it in Marbles because I'm very curious about it. UnderMiner suggested that it's a 19th century marble--and I agree--but every time I try to google "antique clay marble" for comparable images or similar marbles it pulls up images of smaller, unglazed marbles. I also find ones that look kind of like this one called "Bennington" marbles but I don't know enough about marbles to confirm this is one of them.

It's about 25-27mm wide

View attachment 246271
View attachment 246272
next to a more 'regular sized' glass marble:
View attachment 246273
Thoughts? Thanks :)
The glazed ones are all mid to late 19th century based on archaeological context. Bennington (Vermont) is really just a generic name, not really an attribution to source (most of the glazed marbles are colors never used at Bennington. Years ago many called them Rockingham after the English glazed earthenware makers. East Liverpool, Ohio made a lot of these. All sorts of sizes, don’t think size is temporally diagnostic.

historic-antiques

Reaction score
I already posted pics of this marble in a digging forum topic, but I wanted to ask about it in Marbles because I'm very curious about it. UnderMiner suggested that it's a 19th century marble--and I agree--but every time I try to google "antique clay marble" for comparable images or similar marbles it pulls up images of smaller, unglazed marbles. I also find ones that look kind of like this one called "Bennington" marbles but I don't know enough about marbles to confirm this is one of them.

It's about 25-27mm wide

View attachment 246271
View attachment 246272
next to a more 'regular sized' glass marble:
View attachment 246273
Thoughts? Thanks :)
I've heard of "Bennington marbles" too, and I have a blue ceramic one, similar in size to yours, with that same larger, darker spot on it. I found mine in a pre-1900 garbage dump. Last I saw, even the smaller ones are $10-$20/apiece. Larger ones, like yours, $30-$50?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen