Digging the "Roaring 20's" dump with dad

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Gotta keep this "short" for now, but wanted to get the post started. Will finish it up in a few days.

From the 4th through the 7th of this month, My father and I went digging at our 'ole 1920s dump. It is usually hit-or-miss, but I plowed through a layer/pile of rubble (bricks, tile, crete chunks up to 100 pounds, ROW posts, etc) and on the other side was some of the best digging I've ever had in the dump. I am quite certain almost all the garbage came from the Bradley University (or Polytechnic Institute, as I believe it was known then) and seems to be the kind of stuff young adults would be tossing. Sodas, milks, bootleg whiskeys from Canada and overseas (T'was still prohibition at the time, but it didn't stop them!), bromos and milk-o-mags to treat the hangovers ([:D]), cosmetics, foods, and absolutely no toys, marbles, or items one would associate with the rather young or old.

305912_10102415491482520_1020210583_n.jpg

Assuming I'm right, those college kids were pretty darn wasteful! Times really don't change do they, lol. [:D] I'd imagine that the milks and sodas would have normally been returned for a deposit, but that didn't seem very important to whoever contributed to this section of the dump. Out of the piles of sodas and literally hundreds of milks, most were broken or cracked and tossed after cleaning, but I still managed some stellar keepers and several crates worth of flea market stuff.

On the 2nd day, my father and I were "dream-talking" about finding a Peoria, IL Chero-Cola in the dump. We had never seen even a shard of one in this dump before, but the very last bottle of the day, totally upside-down and backwards, was the telltale swirly form of the most desirable 20s soda from Peoria that I can bring to mind. Dug 3 SS cokes, all cracked to hell, but they're no match for the Chero. It's quite a rarity as far as I understand, and though I have no idea what they are worth, I saw one on craigslist for 165, and the listing was taken down not too long after so I wonder if someone bought it? Not that it matters; it isn't going anywhere unless I find a better one! [:)] I believe this one was made in 1923.

164963_10102415492236010_2106445747_n.jpg

551559_10102415492385710_614670686_n.jpg

Most of the time I'd agree that 20s dumps aren't worth digging... But I'd dig this place any day, especially now that I've opened up this awesomely productive section and got a 12 foot trench with gobs of glass exposed on all sides. And reading the topography and past experience, I'm still about 15 feet away from the "epicenter". Stoneware, BIM druggists (made in the 20s, likely the last handblown locals to have been made), and other nifty stuff add to the excitement. It doesn't seem like a typical mid-late 20s deposit. Fine by me. [8D]

The most noteworthy aspect of this area of the dump is the density of milk bottles. Throughout several distinct layers, milks are quite abundant. Most are pretty common or blank, but we pulled a few intact rarities that I never anticipated finding, and damaged examples of milks that are absolutely unlisted! Though the stuff closer to the surface can date to the later 1920s, the milks from this layer were all from 1926 and before. Once you get into the earlier 20s, those rare variants or totally unlisted dairies can start appearing. I can only speculate, but it is possible that I'll hit a mountain of milks somewhere in the area, perhaps as I get closer to the "epicenter".

Just look at this juicy stuff, lol:

558943_10102415491427630_1913709159_n.jpg

Out of that jumble of visible milks (some only slightly visible) I got 3 keepers. a half pint "400" chocolate milk, a generic quart "Pure milk pasteurized" in slugplate, and a very tough local I've never seen intact before, anywhere in person or online. It's listed, but few are known. Blew me away to pull this fine piece of glass out (a 1924 methinks):

604101_10102415492465550_791850829_n.jpg

From that same general layer, but not visible, was this most interesting, but damaged quart milk. Absolutely nothing from this guy whatsoever is listed, and Springfield milk collectors are a dedicated and competitive bunch. Consulted the "Illinois Milk Guru" and he was astonished to hear about it. It's cool that new discoveries, very old or less than a century in age, can still be made. I'm inclined to see what it would bring on eBay, if anything, but only if the guru doesn't want to have it. He has high standards for what gets placed on his shelves, so we'll see.

554107_10102415493029420_1941408448_n.jpg

Also pulled a keeper milk from Wisconsin, and broken milks from Chicago, St Louis, Kansas City, and a few other locations. Quite the interesting variety.

More pics and commentary to come later! [:)]

epackage

Reaction score
Looks like you got your hands full Plum, that hole is thick with glass, continued success...

RCO

Reaction score
looks like a good location , lots of neat bottles , there not that old but bottles from the 20's can still be collectable . i have alot from that era myself as they seemed to make alot of neat embossed soda's back around that time period . i would definity keep diging that dump as it has potential

rpinkham

Reaction score
Hi Plum,

I like the digging with dad! Some of my bad habits rubbed off on my offspring. As a result, we frequently enjoy digging together. I'm very grateful anytime to be included.

The photo shows examples that came from a similar but much smaller dump we recently stumbled upon. Looks the same as what is pictured in the foreground of your first photo. Do you know what they are?

Thanks for showing us the dig! Hope to see more.

8A15C2694E584DBE8B9FEB8C10B6F8A6.jpg

Attachments

• 8A15C2694E584DBE8B9FEB8C10B6F8A6.jpg
    8A15C2694E584DBE8B9FEB8C10B6F8A6.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 102

waskey

Reaction score
That dump looks like a very good one. I love finding 20s dumps like that one that are full of milks. The teens-early 20s is a great era to find small unlisted dairy farms that only were around a few years. I dug a small early 20s dump last year with nothing but milks, all smashed, but I was able to recover pieces to an unknown local milk.

MisterSilverSearcher

Reaction score
Nice! My favorite dumps are 1890-1920's dumps. Great for sodas and 20's are great for milks. I've only ever had little surface dumps, never anything deep. Looks like you had nice finds!

LC

Reaction score
Cigars used to be bought in tubes like that , had a cap that fit into the end of the tube . That is my guess anyway .

deacon_frost

Reaction score
Wow Plummy that layer is loaded, nice score on the locals even cooler that you get to hang and dig with your dad, cant wait to see what you pull out next. In the first picture what is that white pointy character to the right? a light globe?

Digswithstick

Reaction score
That in-situ pic is great ! Digging with Dad ,large dump ,local and rare finds [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Like winning the lottery ! [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese