The big bottle that led me to the pretty sweet dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CCB420

Reaction score
So I'd already posted the pics of this big guy, at the end of that last post, but thought, maybe it wasn't getting enough views?! I'm trying to find some info on duraglass, or at least something that mentions, gal jugs?? Are these common? I did see where one article mentioned that twin finger holds were desirable, but haven't found much on this one, during a very brief search

This one I'd seen laying on its side, in the river, or at least where the river should've been, last month, while at this "camp"!! Since it was still there this month, I put some different shoes on and hopped retaining wall to have a closer look! This one's about 10-15 ft off bank, where the sweet dump site was found from earlier post. Is this a pickle jar? Wine? IMG_20231230_160840_922.jpgIMG_20231230_160924_973.jpgIMG_20231230_161129_692.jpg

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
So I'd already posted the pics of this big guy, at the end of that last post, but thought, maybe it wasn't getting enough views?! I'm trying to find some info on duraglass, or at least something that mentions, gal jugs?? Are these common? I did see where one article mentioned that twin finger holds were desirable, but haven't found much on this one, during a very brief search

This one I'd seen laying on its side, in the river, or at least where the river should've been, last month, while at this "camp"!! Since it was still there this month, I put some different shoes on and hopped retaining wall to have a closer look! This one's about 10-15 ft off bank, where the sweet dump site was found from earlier post. Is this a pickle jar? Wine?
I'd say it is a cider or vinegar jug.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I'd agree with Bruce and say probably cider, juice, or vinegar - mouth looks small for a pickle jar at that size.

Duraglas was trademarked by Owens-Illinois Glass Co. on Sept. 23 1941, and they used the term throughout the 40s, 50s, and 60s. It's name was meant to indicate the glass' increased strength while minimizing weight after years of testing. Here's more info on the "Duraglas" branding: https://glassbottlemarks.com/duraglas-trademark-glass-bottles/

Another special thing that Owens-Illinois did was provide a date code on the bottom of most of their bottles, though sometimes they are difficult to determine exactly. It is the number to the right of the makers mark, in your case the "2". Given the single number and the presence of the "Diamond and O with I center" makers mark this bottle is probably from 1942 or 1952. If there is a period to the right of the 2 it's almost certainly the earlier date. More on O-I's markings: https://glassbottlemarks.com/owens-illinois-glass-company/

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen