It works for me !!! cleaning bottles !!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jblaylock

Reaction score
Nice method Kevin. I once was a car detailer and I've often thought that using car methods may work on my bottles too, but never tried it. I will say 3M makes some of the best compounds, period. As you've seen, they are made for paint, not glass, so even the toughest compound will likely need sand. Also, like with car paint, you should try stepping down in the compound 3-4 times. Example, use the heavy stuff with sand, then just the heavy, then another go with a medium compound, and then a light compound. This may really make one shine, worth a try. A thought on the exterior. If you could figure out a safe way to hold a bottle in a clamp/vice, and use a high speed polisher with compound, you may be able to get similar results on the outside....though it would be a lot of work.

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I hope to try this method soon, I've got almost all the supplies. I have some 3m ordinary rubbing compound, will that work or should I get the super duty?

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello ACL. It all depends on how bad your bottles are stained. You can try what you have to see what results you get. You can add a little (clean) play sand to your compound to make it more aggressive if you need to. I just purchased some new 3-M compound called "perfect-it 3000'' I don't feel the results were as good as the superduty. The new compound was about $50.00 as opposed to $22.00 for the super duty. I have found a new 3M compound for glass polishing, claims it removes scratches, stains,and polishes at the same time. The cost is about $100.00 plus shipping. I found it on e-bay, cannot find it local, It comes from the U.K. Please let me know if you have anymore questions, Thanks and good luck Kevin...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler