seller disclosing bottle condition

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Nice replies everyone. I agree that any alteration that you know of as a seller - and any damage as well - should properly be disclosed.

willieboy

Reaction score
Your comments and opinions mirror my position on this issue. My only other comment based on my limited experience is tumbling a bottle is actually a reference to a process that that can vary widely in the scope of what is done. The use of abrasives can range from course 120/200 grit to teak chips for an extra fine polishing effect. Skill in the use of material and eqipment is directly related to quality of the finished product. Beauty is the eye of the beholder for sure. Certain bottles also are better candidates for the proper dose of a cleaning process. Excessive ginding is not attractive to me and I would rather have the bottle in dug condition. On the other hand the removal of a light stain with extra fine polishing compound can enhance whittling and clarity.

As a collector, I would not consider paying a premium for a radiated bottle.

druggistnut

Reaction score
We don't allow nuked bottles on tables at our show. That's what most of us think of them.
Yes, not disclosing is a "used car" tactic, too. We all know what most people think of used car salesmen.
Bill

mal

Reaction score
How on earth do you nuke a bottle??? ps, not looking for advice to do it, lol.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Willieboy I am not against tumbling bottles if they are a good candidate for the process. I do not like when people use their tumblers as scratch removers though. As far as nuked bottles I would like to see all bottle shows regulate the sale of them. People have the right to spend their money on any type of bottles they want, but nuked bottles should be properly marked as such. My feelings are I do not even want to see them but I try to see it from both sides. Being dishonest is always a bad practice especially in a hobby with so many good people!

splante

Reaction score
I agree with baltbottles 100% would never buy a tumbled or tumble a bottle. clean it as best I can and thats great/ Ebay should be shutting down these con-artist....but IF they are disclosing and people still buy then more power to them
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

As serious collector. I highly dislike tumbled bottles and I will not buy them. I'd rather have a dug stained bottle then one that was altered by a non natural process.

chosi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mal
How on earth do you nuke a bottle??? ps, not looking for advice to do it, lol.
To "nuke" a bottle means to irradiate it, i.e. expose it to strong radiation. As I understand it, you basically put it into an X-Ray machine and bombard it with X-Rays. I don't know how you gain access to an X-ray machine - it's not something you'd want to have in your house, as they're pretty dangerous.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Splante you really believe people who tumble bottles are con-artists. I understand not liking tumbled bottles and not wanting to purchase them, but calling us con-artists is a little extreme especially because I always let people know if a bottle has been tumbled. Most people do not mind having there bottles tumbled as a matter of fact. I look at tumbling as a restoration more than an alteration and in many cases adds value to a bottle rather than taking away from it. But you are entitled to your opinion.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Travis,

I'm pretty sure that Steve is speaking of the "nukers."

200px-United_States_Fallout_Shelter_Sign.svg.png

FitSandTic

Reaction score
I figured that may have been what was intended. You never know though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler