Archaeologists These Days...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Funny examples of what we hate digging up. A friend and I were digging in an industrial dump, circa 1910-1920, and we kept getting all sorts of light bulbs -- dozens and dozens of them. After awhile, we were sick of unearthing them. Well, lo and behold, my buddy digs up a rare local soda siphon, replete with frost bruises and cracks. The darn thing nearly fell apart in his hands, much to his great disappointment. The next thing he dug up was -- you guessed it -- another light bulb. He was annoyed, to say the least, and yelled out about the thin glass of all these light bulbs surviving, but not the heavy siphon. The injustice of it all! Disgusted he whipped the newly found light bulb at a tree. It bounced, unharmed, off the trunk onto the ground. He then swung down with his shovel to smash the offending bulb. The shovel just pushed it into the dirt. Next, he pulled the bulb out of the dirt and used his shovel as a golf club and teed off on the bulb, which flew in the air and bounced off another tree, landing back on the ground intact. Pouncing down on the bulb with the edge of the shovel did the trick. However, I was laughing so hard, I was crying, and I just couldn't resist saying, "That was probably some really rare light bulb, you know." My buddy, without blinking an eye, retorted, "Damn right, it's the only broken one we've got all day." We scooped up the survivors to sell at the local flea market. None of them sold, even at a buck each. We went back to the same dump later that year and resumed our excavation of, probably, hundreds more of those frickin' things! I still laugh about it when I put in a new bulb around the house.

2find4me

Reaction score
Haha Glen, that wad funny! [:D] That was one strong light bulb!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen