Mid-century Sodas and some shout outs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Csa

Reaction score
Okay, been on this site about 3 months and have learned a great deal from this group. Want to give a shout out to 3 in particular; UncleBruce, for his understanding that it's the friends you make, the thrill of the hunt and the intrinsic value in your finds (not $$) which matter; SodaBob for his forensic research approach, which I find to be the most enjoyable aspect, as many of you do as well I'm sure, and RobbyBobby for his lessons about always watching along roadways and trails etc for finds and where to look in a given terrain for likely bottles.
I'm still looking for another digging site in central NJ suburbia beyond my TOC+ dump, but yesterday found some interesting 40's-60s' sodas on my hike. I call them "art deco lite", not like the awesome CA and US bottles I've seen on here, but kind of cool anyway. These were along a commuter railway, and at first thought I had a bottle dump area, but it was right outside an old factory area, so I soon realized this must have been a "break" area where they had a soda, or a bromo, of maybe even a beer or shot, before heading back to work. It was right down a hilly embankment which is exactly where many of you said to look. Good news is, got several decent looking sodas, nothing special. Bad news is most are ACLs with little to no remaining label. The few that had some ACL left, pretty much disintegrated once home. I have now learned, I need to leave them alone for several weeks to acclimate and dry out, then proceed with caution. Anyway, glad to have a few fancy-ish sodas in the collection like my first 7-up swimsuit girl and Steelman Pepsi wave. Maybe I will find some with full labels at some point.
Any thoughts and new info on these is greatly appreciated, esp the Chevy Club have you seen these before?

Bottles found - include Bromo, Listerine, and Cough med or such - hangover anyone??
1. Duraglas 7-up swimsuit girl 7 oz, 1953, Plainfield NJ bottling co., Owens Illinois glass. Red ACL flaked off when I looked at it the wrong way.
2. Ne-Hi soda, ACL gone, hard to read marks on bottom, looks like 1962 mark
3. Fanta, 1964, no glass mfg on base I can see
4. Early Diet Pepsi 16 oz, 1964 Broockway Glass, five lines of disclaimers about Sacharine on the back!
5. Canada Dry 7 oz 1959 Owens llinois glass
6. Pepsi wave, Steelman design. ACL gone; Brockway Glass, EARLY Temperglas mark on bottom, so 1940s??
7. Fosters beverage, Lansford PA, 12 oz. ACL was in decent shape now looks like shit!. 1957, O-I glass.
8. This one is the most unique, Chevy CLub Soda Beverage, 12 oz, Elizabeth NJ. ACL gone, but could make out ghost remnant description on back. Front had a cowboy motif. Found only one pic of this on google. SodaBob - new research for you!!.

Thanks - CSA
b5.jpgb1.jpg
b6.jpg

b4.jpg

Last edited:

Nickneff

Reaction score
Here is the google pic of the Chevy club Soda. View attachment 217229
Looks like the 7Up bottle is the oldest bottle the seven bottles with the lady in the swimsuit are the oldest 7 ups I've never seen that Chevy club bottle I like it it's cool I really like it because it's got a three on it the horse I'm a big Dale Earnhardt senior fan my opinion he was the greatest NASCAR driver I've ever seen NASCAR almost died when he did I used to love to go watch him race I've been following him when he used to drive the Wrangler car the old yellow Wrangler car that's going way back for Dale senior I miss the s*** out of him he was the man

Csa

Reaction score
Thanks. I’m a nascar and racing fan for sure. I realize now that the Chevy Club label is not a cowboy but a jockey! Gotta do some research. There were several horse tracks here in north Jersey, but don’t get the connection with Elizabeth NJ and this bottle. It’s a very urban, city and commercial seaport near where I live. Gotta research their bottling history. Apparently they made sodas in the mid 1900s.

RCO

Reaction score
the old swim 7 up's are usually 50's era , the swirl pepsi and Fanta might be late 60's even early 70's

with bottles you just have to keep searching and usually you come across another spot where bottles can be found , most area's there is often dozen's of different places where bottles might of been dumped or left behind

which could include vacant lots , old farms , woodlots , old highways , parks

Reactions: Csa

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Okay, been on this site about 3 months and have learned a great deal from this group. Want to give a shout out to 3 in particular; UncleBruce, for his understanding that it's the friends you make, the thrill of the hunt and the intrinsic value in your finds (not $$) which matter; SodaBob for his forensic research approach, which I find to be the most enjoyable aspect, as many of you do as well I'm sure, and RobbyBobby for his lessons about always watching along roadways and trails etc for finds and where to look in a given terrain for likely bottles.
I'm still looking for another digging site in central NJ suburbia beyond my TOC+ dump, but yesterday found some interesting 40's-60s' sodas on my hike. I call them "art deco lite", not like the awesome CA and US bottles I've seen on here, but kind of cool anyway. These were along a commuter railway, and at first thought I had a bottle dump area, but it was right outside an old factory area, so I soon realized this must have been a "break" area where they had a soda, or a bromo, of maybe even a beer or shot, before heading back to work. It was right down a hilly embankment which is exactly where many of you said to look. Good news is, got several decent looking sodas, nothing special. Bad news is most are ACLs with little to no remaining label. The few that had some ACL left, pretty much disintegrated once home. I have now learned, I need to leave them alone for several weeks to acclimate and dry out, then proceed with caution. Anyway, glad to have a few fancy-ish sodas in the collection like my first 7-up swimsuit girl and Steelman Pepsi wave. Maybe I will find some with full labels at some point.
Any thoughts and new info on these is greatly appreciated, esp the Chevy Club have you seen these before?

Bottles found - include Bromo, Listerine, and Cough med or such - hangover anyone??
1. Duraglas 7-up swimsuit girl 7 oz, 1953, Plainfield NJ bottling co., Owens Illinois glass. Red ACL flaked off when I looked at it the wrong way.
2. Ne-Hi soda, ACL gone, hard to read marks on bottom, looks like 1962 mark
3. Fanta, 1964, no glass mfg on base I can see
4. Early Diet Pepsi 16 oz, 1964 Broockway Glass, five lines of disclaimers about Sacharine on the back!
5. Canada Dry 7 oz 1959 Owens llinois glass
6. Pepsi wave, Steelman design. ACL gone; Brockway Glass, EARLY Temperglas mark on bottom, so 1940s??
7. Fosters beverage, Lansford PA, 12 oz. ACL was in decent shape now looks like shit!. 1957, O-I glass.
8. This one is the most unique, Chevy CLub Soda Beverage, 12 oz, Elizabeth NJ. ACL gone, but could make out ghost remnant description on back. Front had a cowboy motif. Found only one pic of this on google. SodaBob - new research for you!!.

Thanks - CSA
View attachment 217219View attachment 217220
View attachment 217222

View attachment 217221
First off, thank you so much for the compliments. UncleBruce and SodaBob are very knowledgeable collectors. Thrilled to help anyone in anyway.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Reactions: Csa

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu