what is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pmurphy

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum because I am trying to identify a stoneware? bottle that was in my grandmother's possession when she passed away. I have now had this bottle for 20+ years but have always been curious about it because I have no idea where she would have got it from or why - she was not into collecting things such as this.
Someone told me they think it is Chinese about 1920's, others think it might be a Japanese sake bottle but my grandmother was not a drinker. And as she grew up on the Canadian prairies I have no idea now she would have acquired an Asian bottle.

IMG_3397.jpgIMG_3398.jpgIMG_3399.jpgIMG_3396.jpg

If anyone can tell me anything about it or where I could additional information it would be much appreciated.

treasurekidd

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome to the forum. My guess, and that's all this is, is that this looks more Japanese than Chinese. Could your grandmother have known someone who served in Japan during WWII or the post war occupation?

pmurphy

Reaction score
Not to my knowledge, her parents came from England in 1912 and she was born and raised in a small town in Alberta - never left there until the late 50's.

botlguy

Reaction score
As late as it is in history, she could have acquired this at any time just because it appealed to her on some level. My suggestion is that, if you valued her because of who she was, keep it as a reminder of her essence. If you cared little or nothing about her just dispose of it as junk.
Jim
P.S. That's my advise to my kids and Grandkids as I age rapidly.

pmurphy

Reaction score
As late as it is in history, she could have acquired this at any time just because it appealed to her on some level. My suggestion is that, if you valued her because of who she was, keep it as a reminder of her essence. If you cared little or nothing about her just dispose of it as junk.
Jim
P.S. That's my advise to my kids and Grandkids as I age rapidly.

I do care greatly about her which is why I have kept this bottle for so long, and why it sits in a place of honour among the glass bottles that I collected during my diving years.

It is just so unlike anything I have and there seems to be nowhere that I can gather any information on it and I don't know where to turn any more. Most sites that I have searched deal with glass only, and of those that deal with more than just glass this is the only one where I have received any type of response. Antique dealers know nothing and only want to make a quick buck. And search as I may I have never seen anything even similar to it. At one point my husband even tried searching the lettering but the translations made no sense so that dead-ended.

But I will continue to search because it is special to me and I'm hoping it will help me to understand my grandmother a little more because, as I said, it is 'so not her'.

sunrunner

Reaction score
I don't believe any one at present on this forum can accurately date your bottle . considering it's not a reproduction it looks at lest 14centery . Britton invested heavily in the china tread at this time.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause