Flasks?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am not even sure if these are both flasks or not! (I am just learning) The little one is about 5". It does not sit perfectly flat. The taller one is 8 5/8" Also, that line on the top of the tall one is not a crack. (it's in the glass) Neither one has any cracks or chips! Any information on these 2 bottles would be great! Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3180.jpg
    IMG_3180.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3182.jpg
    IMG_3182.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3181.jpg
    IMG_3181.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3186.jpg
    IMG_3186.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3184.jpg
    IMG_3184.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3183.jpg
    IMG_3183.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 110

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The little one looks very promising. My initial thought was that it's a reproduction but that's a lot of base wear for a reproduction to have. It could definitely be a good one. The other one looks like a 20th century European liquor bottle, not a flask.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you! When you say it's a good one, and very promising, can you elaborate? I am not sure if you read my profile, but I inherited my father's bottle collection. (about 500 bottles) He used to go on digs, and also found many bottles when he owned his own construction company and would dig up huge areas to build on. He has quite the collection. So, I have been researching the past month or so because I am going to be having a bottle sale. Any suggestions on price for either one?

sandchip

Reaction score
Kathi, you might consider a road trip to the Springfield, Mass. national in August. Plenty of brains there that can tell you something about the little ribbed flask.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Jim, thank you so much for giving me that information. Here in Erie, there are not really any "experts", or none that I can trust. I have had 2 people come and look at my collection. The first person, owns an estate sale business, he marked that flask at $4.00. The other person only knew about Erie bottles, and he priced things very low as well. (but both don't want me to have the sale without them present because they want to buy some bottles). Through doing my research, I have found they have priced 100.00 bottles at $5.00 or less. I have gone to the library to do research, I have gone to antique stores, etc. I joined worthpoint online, and have joined this forum. I am on my own on doing this and yes, a total loss soul when it comes to pricing them. I wish I had someone I could trust, I just don't know anyone that would be honest with me. I can't find that particular flask anywhere, so I wasn't sure what to price it at! (or just to put it up online) I am very grateful for your help! :)

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!! I was actually just in Mass a month ago! I vacationed in New England! How I wish I had people that I could trust in this town, but if you read my response above this one to Jim, you can see my situation. That sounds like something I would really enjoy going to, just don't know if I can get back up there that soon! Thank you for taking the time to respond to me! :)

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The green one I'd say wine bottle, not particularly old. May well have be a cianti type bottle with basket on the outside originally.

The little dip molded, ribbed flask is probably the best thing you've posted so far. SOME of those were not blown in the 1800s, but were early 20th century. So you've got to have knowledge about them. I know the number of ribs it has MAY be an indicator of where it was blown.

Looking at the pic and the base wear and pontil, I'm betting that's original, probably 1850 or earlier, mid west somewhere, Ohio, Western Pa maybe, and original. It's a plain aqua but a nice small form. sure has heck it's worth more than $4, even if it was blown by someone like Emil Larsen in the early 1900s. I'd bet that's a $150 period correct piece there, maybe a bit more if it's a rare rib count. Again, I'm just an ink collector and not a flask guy.

You might try catching Jeff Noordsy on that one. jeffnholantiquebottles.com. He's a go to guy in collecting for flasks. And has always been very helpful. Back in the day he was active on here. No I only see him on the early American glass group on Facebook.

Jim G

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Jim, You are awesome!!! :) Thank you so much!! I will try and reach out to Jeff Noordsy and see if he can help me price that flask! My father used to go on digs with a well known expert, and he also owned his own construction company. So, when he would dig up the ground to build on, he would always find bottles. He was very knowledgeable, he was a collector like all of you! He passed away years ago, and my brother and I just had them packed away and recently decided to do something with them. My father had them packed away years before he passed. So, they have been put away for years. I feel as though I am discovering buried treasures with each bottle, it's been bittersweet for me. Really wish he was here to talk to him about something he was so passionate about! I tried counting the ribs on the flask, I am coming up with around 23 ribs. It is very hard to count because of how the bottle is made! lol I have some amazing bottles, but I have priced them already. I am posting bottles that I haven't been able to find information on! I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts! You have been very helpful! :D

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger