Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Shard!

Senior Member Bottle Master coldwater diver's Avatar

Great Shard!

I was out walking the tidal flats in the rain in NH this past Sunday rather than be warm n comfy inside. I'm
    usually looking for marbles as they seem to work their way to the surface. I find all sorts of broken shards
    of ceramics and glass bottles, pipes etc. I have found some nice whole ones as well. I found this piece w the
    bottom up, I pulled on it and could tell it was not whole. Dark emerald green w a beautiful pontil. I saw
    Albany NY my thought it's another Townsends broken( I have found many, never a whole one). Then I see
    OD'S and XER on the other panel! I posted on FB and I am told its an unlisted variant of" Dr. JS Woods Elixer"
    I am going to be looking for more of it this week. Here is a link for a known version that brought over 11 thousand in Hecklers auction
    https://www.hecklerauction.com/auctions/99/view/?lot=82
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180225_142018.jpg   IMG_20180225_142023.jpg   IMG_20180225_142032.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
    I of course had the privilege of seeing that shard in person this afternoon! Yours is a much rarer bottle than that tombstone Woods! Yours is almost square at the base, with vertical embossing ! It's 2018 and we're still finding new awesome bottles out there! Now I'm really ready to go diving and digging!

Senior Member Bottle Master hemihampton's Avatar
    WOW, Real bummer it was not whole. I know the feeling, like when I pulled out a broken 1860's Newmans Indian Fruit Bitters from bottom of Privy all busted up. LEON.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    My goodness alive, what a broke! I've got a picture of a whole one somewhere. I'll throw it on here if I can find it tomorrow. You never fail to wow us, Kev!

Here's that picture of all the known Wood's molds. It amazes me that one proprietor could have that many bottles blown, with one mold being scarce and the rest being extremely rare, and all colored to boot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woods group.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	181685

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Wow-now that is a lineup!

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    So is Coldwater's example one of the 4? His base looks square- #3 looks rectangular

Senior Member Bottle Master coldwater diver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandchip View Post
    Here's that picture of all the known Wood's molds. It amazes me that one proprietor could have that many bottles blown, with one mold being scarce and the rest being extremely rare, and all colored to boot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woods group.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	181685
    Thank you for this photo Jim! They are all works of art. I hope you dont mind if I post this on a FB page called "Shards". I went back to where I found it and no luck finding more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater diver View Post
    ...I hope you dont mind if I post this on a FB page called "Shards"...
    Help yourself, brother. I can't wait to see what you come up with next. Just unreal!

Senior Member Bottle Master riverdiver's Avatar
    I too saw this shard about an hour after Bram did and was equally stunned. I went to the mud flats with Kevin and we gave it the old college try, no more shards but I did get two boots full of seawater.