Vegetable Bitters Welch & Currier Lawrence MA Paper Label Bottle

I had bought this bottle in a collection of bottles thinking it could be an early label.

The label is printed Vegetable but Bitters is handwritten in ink. Prepared by Welch & Currier 62 Common St with more faded ink written under directions and possibly even crossed out Currier. Its faded enough its hard to tell.

The research into old directories from lawrence led to an interesting discovery as well as a probable date of 1857.
    The welch and currier connection only lasted a few years from 1857-1859
    What was interesting is they are both listed as healing mediums and an 1859 ad for Amasa Welch has him listed as a Clairvoyant and healing medium. If you even just mailed them a letter with your symptoms they would be able to send you the exact medicine you needed. Very interesting history associated with this bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0488.jpg   IMG_0486.jpg   IMG_0489.jpg   IMG_0491.jpg   IMG_0492.jpg  

IMG_0493.jpg   IMG_0494.jpg   IMG_0495.jpg   IMG_0496.jpg   IMG_0497.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    Cool bottle.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    The interesting thing there is that I would peg that bottle, with that lip, as British. of course, everyone re-used bottles in those days, or they may have ordered from a British glasshouse.

Jim G

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    I'd lean toward re-use.