Junior Member New Bottler

Re-Purposing Broken Bottles

Greetings!

Lately I've been finding beautiful old bottles that are, regrettably, missing their blob-tops. In the past, I used to leave them, but now I'm bringing them home, with the idea of cutting them, to create glassware. Has anyone here done this? Being old glass that is thick & often bubbled, I'm dubious of having success.Then again, you never know till you try!

To that end, I've ordered a glass cutting tool. My plan is to start on new glass bottles ( recent dinner parties have left me a good stock of empty wine bottles! ), then slowly work my way into older glass as my proficiency increases.

Here are two broken bottles with very nice embossing, that I think would make great beer glasses:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Broken Blobs.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	184413

Cheers,
    DSD

That is a great idea! Just be sure to grind the edges so people don't get sliced mouths!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtop View Post
    That is a great idea! Just be sure to grind the edges so people don't get sliced mouths!
    Good advice! I plan to sand them into smooth perfection, as a glass splinter in the chops is no way to enjoy a frosty one!

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    I've seen such things, but, yes, you have to grind and round (if possible) the edges: that no one gets cut.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

State Of Jefferson. The REAL Northen California
    That's a great idea. Let us know how it works out.

I do a lot of glasswork with stained glass and use a diamond glass grinder all the time. This will be perfect for your endeavors. I have a Whizling glass grinder and it makes short work of smoothing down sharp, dangerous glass edges. Might find a grinder cheaper on eBay.

http://www.thegrindershop.com/inland