Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Junior Member New Bottler

Talking River Diving for Antiques in Canada

Hi everyone,

Ok, off to a false start on this chat, since I tried to push my YouTube channel a bit too hard, so I'm taking a mulligan. I'm from Ottawa, Canada and been diving all summer for antiques and making videos. Started off doing traditional shipwreck dives, but quickly realized I enjoyed looking for antiques in rivers a lot more.

Attached are some of my best finds to date and what I think they are.

1. Wine or olive oil bottle 1820 to 1850? Posted on another thread in this chat for info.
    2. Mustard jar 1870-1890, info found on this site.
    3. Beer bottle pre-1900

Looking forward to your comments and will post future finds in appropriate threads.

Thanks
    André

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3330.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	184634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3332.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	184635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2774.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	184636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2777.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	184637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3349.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	184638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3350.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	184639

Last edited by scubacanuck; 09-25-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: typo

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Some forums would label this post as blatant poaching and delete it. The idea of this forum is to post your diving adventures HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pristis View Post
    Some forums would label this post as blatant poaching and delete it. The idea of this forum is to post your diving adventures HERE.
    What do you mean by HERE? I should post pictures and text only? If you feel this is inappropriate, please delete my post....

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    You can also insert a video directly into here-- there is a film-icon right of the picture-icon. But I should think that linking to YouTube would be preferable to the site owner, for that means he only has to pay for the text memory. A video costs more to maintain on the site, because images and video take up more storage-space. But a link takes up little storage.
    But, we would like to see a few choice photos uploaded to here with detailed descriptions of your adventures and of what we are seeing. A show of your best in-situation and best-finds photos would be nice as that is what this site is truly meant for. Indeed, based off of how you typed your post, it does sound like you were only trying to get people to subscribe to your YouTube page. I think that is what Harry Pristis meant and was frowning at.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Ok, took back my post and rewrote it. I'm really into bottles and I don't want to sound like I'm here for a quick plug. I do spent a lot of time on my videos, so I tend to plug my channel whenever I can. I'll try to balance things out a lot more, since I want to be in good standings in this forum.

Cheers
    André

Good job, Andre. Welcome.

Name:	4wineshapes.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	184640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winesealedtrio.jpg 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	184641

Your first bottle is a French wine bottle, a Bordeaux wine bottle. The black glass bottle is (likely) British, an ale bottle.

Thanks Harry, as for dates, what would be your closest guess?

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Nice finds! Do you find Ottawa and Hull items a lot? I lived in Ottawa for a while so I collect bottles local to the area. I'd be interested to see photos of your local finds!

Quote Originally Posted by scubacanuck View Post
    Thanks Harry, as for dates, what would be your closest guess?

The Bordeaux bottle without a pontil scar is late --- say the last quarter of the 19th century. The French exported a gazillion of these wine bottles. The lip finish improved somewhat over the decades, but they never got beyond crude until they were fully molded.
    The ale bottle is a little earlier, I think.

Name:	wine_bordeaux_lip.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	184642

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianBottles View Post
    Nice finds! Do you find Ottawa and Hull items a lot? I lived in Ottawa for a while so I collect bottles local to the area. I'd be interested to see photos of your local finds!
    Top of my head I have a Nesbitt of Califonia and it says on the back it was bottle in Ottawa. When I'll get home tonight I can send you a pic. Do you have one of those in your collection?