J C Bakers Patent, Aug,14 1860

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TROG

Reaction score
Thought I had picked up an early Fruit Jar. This item is around 2 pint size and looks exactly like a fruit jar sitting in a metal base but there is no base to the glass item and do not know what it may have been used for. The centre section on the base fits in a slot to lock it in. Would appreciate any comment about what it was for, Thanks David SANY2164.jpgSANY2166.jpgSANY2165.jpgSANY2169.jpg

Last edited:

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-

At first glance it appears to be a candle/night light type of lantern,
I'll see if I can find the patent specifications.

-

:)

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-
Hi again David.

The patent specification for your jar (shown below) does relate to the closure for a fruit jar, however, it would appear
yours has been adapted/re-purposed for another use and as I said earlier with that ventilated metal base
it would appear to have been utilised as a lantern of some sort.

-

-

Incidentally there were 105 patents granted by the US Patent Office on the 14th August 1860,
most of which were related to either industrial or agricultural use.

TROG

Reaction score
-
Hi again David.

The patent specification for your jar (shown below) does relate to the closure for a fruit jar, however, it would appear
yours has been adapted/re-purposed for another use and as I said earlier with that ventilated metal base
it would appear to have been utilised as a lantern of some sort.

-

-

Incidentally there were 105 patents granted by the US Patent Office on the 14th August 1860,
most of which were related to either industrial or agricultural use.

Thank you for the info and now wonder if any of the Fruit Jar collectors have a full jar with original lid.

coreya

Reaction score
any way to take off the base so we can see the finish on the base glass? I cant find any jar with that embossing, perhaps made specifically like that, sort of like other glass candle chimneys. :confused:

coreya

Reaction score
Found it! listed as # 188 in the Red Book. Quart With a repo clamp listed as 100-150

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
It looks like someone got a fruit jar and converted it into a lamp. Unfortunately they cut off the base of the bottle in the process. Still, it was likely done in the 1800s and is a fascinating piece!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger