Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

J C Bakers Patent, Aug,14 1860

TROG

Sep 27, 2004
South Australia
Thought I had picked up an early Fruit Jar. This item is around 2 pint size and looks exactly like a fruit jar sitting in a metal base but there is no base to the glass item and do not know what it may have been used for. The centre section on the base fits in a slot to lock it in. Would appreciate any comment about what it was for, Thanks DavidSANY2164.jpgSANY2166.jpgSANY2165.jpgSANY2169.jpg

Last edited:

Old Wiltshire

Jan 10, 2017
Wiltshire UK
-
Hi again David.

The patent specification for your jar (shown below) does relate to the closure for a fruit jar, however, it would appear
yours has been adapted/re-purposed for another use and as I said earlier with that ventilated metal base
it would appear to have been utilised as a lantern of some sort.

-

-

Incidentally there were 105 patents granted by the US Patent Office on the 14th August 1860,
most of which were related to either industrial or agricultural use.

:)

TROG

Sep 27, 2004
South Australia
-
Hi again David.

The patent specification for your jar (shown below) does relate to the closure for a fruit jar, however, it would appear
yours has been adapted/re-purposed for another use and as I said earlier with that ventilated metal base
it would appear to have been utilised as a lantern of some sort.

-

-

Incidentally there were 105 patents granted by the US Patent Office on the 14th August 1860,
most of which were related to either industrial or agricultural use.

:)
Thank you for the info and now wonder if any of the Fruit Jar collectors have a full jar with original lid.

coreya

Apr 30, 2007
Summerfield, Fl
any way to take off the base so we can see the finish on the base glass? I cant find any jar with that embossing, perhaps made specifically like that, sort of like other glass candle chimneys. :confused:

RIBottleguy

Mar 5, 2008
Providence, RI
It looks like someone got a fruit jar and converted it into a lamp. Unfortunately they cut off the base of the bottle in the process. Still, it was likely done in the 1800s and is a fascinating piece!

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickV53